Here's something to keep you occupied...

(Tears of pure happiness)
Oh Niklas, you have made this crusty old seadog's fondest wishes come true. Until I finally see you in concert, this will keep me warm on those cold winter nights :D
And you are indeed still part of my favourite band :D

Nifty lil' program. However, I do prefer to look in the CD booklet, but maybe that's just me. ;) And yes, I sing (well, sort of...;)) along. Not ashamed of it. Not one bit. :)

I never fancied myself sitting by the computer singing along to DT...

I always fancied myself growling along. :D

Sing-along program, DT tatoos put on display in band's site, DT screensavers, winamp skins, desktop themes, T-shirts, auctiones... And the very words which Niklas uses while talking about the band... This gives me bad feelings... Like something is horribly wrong and will never be the same again.

Onyx said:
Sing-along program, DT tatoos put on display in band's site, DT screensavers, winamp skins, desktop themes, T-shirts, auctiones... And the very words which Niklas uses while talking about the band... This gives me bad feelings... Like something is horribly wrong and will never be the same again.

oh my, they´re sellouts!!! :Smug:

How deliciously paranoid... now, if they were charging for it...

But they're not. Bit hard to sell out if you're not selling anything one would of thought...

I might have to give it a whirl, but I always prefer dueting :p

Onyx said:
And the very words which Niklas uses while talking about the band...
...are apparently used in a witty and humorous way and bear no real implications of egoism of any sort, in case you haven't noticed. I still firmly believe the band-members are very down-to-earth and have no delusions of their fame.

If you meant something completely different - then I simply have no idea what you meant. It just looked to me you were suspecting the DT-members of becoming some snobs like Metallica. Which, in my opinion, is not true at all.

-Villain

maybe it's just me, but i sort of got the feeling that onyx meant something a bit different. like, that all the gadgets and a certain plain, easy-going way to talk about band activities is rather... mundane, and at odds ends with the idea of dt as a very intellectual, eclectic and somehow mystical project. as if coming too much into the open with everyday-life-related offerings would put dark tranquillity alongside a multitude of more generic bands instead of keeping them enshrined in an isolated and vaguely elitarian place. i don't think record sales or popularity were the object of this criticism.

and on that point, if i got it right, i have to say that it's important to distinguish between factual truth and personal views. for instance, there has been no dramatic change in the way niklas refers to the band, in my opinion: since the first time i remember talking to him, he's never been one for enshrouding things in mystery or coating them with high-sounding words or attitude. it's just that, of late, there are many more ways for fans to hear the voice of bandmembers online or in interviews or in real life.
the same is true - with a few differences - when it comes to merchandising and other internet paraphernalia: times are changing towards an environment where everyone interacts more with stuff and is himself the object of more interaction. dark tranquillity are not hiding themselves, secluded in impenetrable towers (like me, in case anyone still cares about the metaphor), but do accept the shaping and twisting of reality. or that's the way i see it, i guess.

Delirious, is there any need to be cynical here?

Wanderingblade, I am only talking about my personal feelings and not trying to "make everyone see the truth". Don't get angry because of the fact that everyone is different and sees their own world.
If something is important for somebody but totally unimportant for you, would you respect or dis that thing?

Villain, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. After all, you're the lucky one who have met the guys, not me. :erk:

rahvin, it's all the matter of my personal desinformation. I always boil in my own juices, and the touch of reality sometimes causes disastrous reactions. If I were completely sure that I'm right, I wouldn't post such things. I simply need other people's opinions to fix mine.

Onyx said:
rahvin, it's all the matter of my personal desinformation. I always boil in my own juices, and the touch of reality sometimes causes disasterous reactions.
ah, you're certainly not alone in that. i'm a professional boiler (ahem) and i certainly learned to master disastrous reactions a long time ago...
for what it's worth, there's plenty of good things hiding amongst the folds of reality concerning dark tranquillity as people and as a band. not so, unfortunately, about the rest of the world. ;)

If I were completely sure that I'm right, I wouldn't post such things. I simply need other people's opinions to fix mine.
sometimes it's not even a matter of fixing, you're certainly entitled to have any opinion regardless of other people's. it's actually sort of stimulating to hear some new theories. i was indeed trying to provide said opinion with my reply.

rahvin, my position is that I am not sure 100% in anything. It might be 99%, but not 100%. I find it harder and harder to judge the things around me, because every phenomenon can be seen in a variety of different angles of view. I am lost...

I know that I know nothing.

@onyx: well, nobody is. those who claim they are, are pretending. in order to feel less helpless it's usually allright to simply stick to an opinion and act as if we were 100% sure of it, even though of course we know nothing at all.
but you do sound a little, err, desolate in the above post. i can sympathise, and i'm available to hear any question you might have, although of course i have no clue about the answers myself.