Hessian Peel

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
To me this is one of the ultimate Opeth songs. I just love the first 5 minutes and then that ominous piano and then organ...awesome!o_O I wonder about the title though, it's peculiar-to say the least.:err:

I think my favorite part is the first transition from light to heavy. Some say its jarring, but actually the song gives you plenty of warning that its coming up. Just listen to the little keyboard section and the drums afterward pretty much announcing, "get ready!" because as soon as the drums are done, it blasts you.

I have a love/hate-relationship with this song. The clean section I love, but never been a big fan of the more heavy section. Just don't think any of the riffs are up to Opeth's standards. Not bad, but not great either.

I like it, but it's hard for me not to seperate this song into "first half/second half", which never happens to me with Opeth. Maybe with continued listens I stop making this distinction.

"Hessian" is slang for metalhead. there is a website (hessian dot org) that explains this.

And other than the obvious definitions of "peel", there are three others that are not as obvious. these are:

1. a small fortified tower for residence or for use during an attack, common in the border counties of England and Scotland in the 16th century.

2. a shovellike implement for putting bread, pies, etc., into the oven or taking them out.

3. a long, shovellike iron tool for charging an open-hearth furnace.

To further develop the first tower definition, wikipedia describes the following:

"Peel towers (also spelt pele) are small fortified keeps or tower houses, built along the English and Scottish Borders, intended as watch towers where signal fires could be lit by the garrison to warn of approaching danger. By an Act of Parliament in 1455 each of these towers was required to have an iron basket on its summit and a smoke or fire signal, for day or night use, ready at hand."

"Hessian" is slang for metalhead. there is a website (hessian dot org) that explains this.

And other than the obvious definitions of "peel", there are three others that are not as obvious. these are:

1. a small fortified tower for residence or for use during an attack, common in the border counties of England and Scotland in the 16th century.

2. a shovellike implement for putting bread, pies, etc., into the oven or taking them out.

To further develop the first tower definition, wikipedia describes the following:

"Peel towers (also spelt pele) are small fortified keeps or tower houses, built along the English and Scottish Borders, intended as watch towers where signal fires could be lit by the garrison to warn of approaching danger. By an Act of Parliament in 1455 each of these towers was required to have an iron basket on its summit and a smoke or fire signal, for day or night use, ready at hand."
Thanks for that info, it was interesting.

Cool! So you're saying the song is about a metalhead shovel-like... spatula... lighthouse... fortress... thingy...

Man, Mike is DEEP. :kickass:

I think my favorite part is the first transition from light to heavy. Some say its jarring, but actually the song gives you plenty of warning that its coming up. Just listen to the little keyboard section and the drums afterward pretty much announcing, "get ready!" because as soon as the drums are done, it blasts you.

I totally agree. I get quite similar "get ready" feeling when Blackwater parks calm middle section is nearing it's end.