Hetfield Black album tone - my Quest

Pablo333

Jan 13, 2009
So here i am at 3.28 am after working on a short clip of
a cover of "The God that failed".

Tried really hard to nail Hetfields tone on this - not the full song - just the best parts!!

Check it out!!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7739424

Used the good old POD for this and a ton of processing!!!

Holy shit, that sounds reeeeeally fucking close. What did you use to do this? I've been wanting the Black Album tone myself for years! If you'd be willing to, PM me the settings of the stuff you used. I don't have a POD, but if I can score one I'd know where to start.

holy shit dude you did an amazing job. for a second I thought I was listening to the real track, save for the drums not having that thick tone to them. even the bass sounds close.

hey guys thanks for the comments!! - i normally hate doing covers but i do love this song - and the pod settings were>>>

Line 6 agro > drive- 75 bass- 50 mid-80 treble 85 pres 70

treadplate cab - 421 mic

quadtracked with the two "inner" gtrs panned 70 70 - same pod settings but with a 57 on axis/

One thing i should point out is i actually changed my picking hand technique to match that of Hetfields - he uses his thumb-index and middle finger to hold the pick - and what happens is the middle fingertip touches the strings ever so slightly and gives the palm mutes a bit more grit - try it ! - it does actually make a difference!!

care to post a picture of your hand on the pick?

that sounds very very close to the original, you have top quality POD skills :)

EDIT: i don't see hetfield holding the pick with anything other than his thumb and 1st finger in photos

care to post a picture of your hand on the pick?

that sounds very very close to the original, you have top quality POD skills :)

EDIT: i don't see hetfield holding the pick with anything other than his thumb and 1st finger in photos

i thought he held it with his thumb, first finger and middle?

veryyy noice tone btw!

recorded bassline on my gtr and just pitchshifted down an octave , then ran through podfarm.

Pablo and Dan, why not use Dammit Distortion? Or is this more the fun of being able to get near that tone by yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pablo and Dan, why not use Dammit Distortion? Or is this more the fun of being able to get near that tone by yourself?

After hearing how awesome Pablo's tone was, it made me wonder how close you could get to matching a $billion guitar sound with a modest PodXT, and as I have a Pod at hand I thought I'd give it a go!

I didn't even bother using my Waves plugins, just used the digidesign ones.

I'll try again soon.

After hearing how awesome Pablo's tone was, it made me wonder how close you could get to matching a guitar sound with a modest PodXT, and as I have a Pod at hand I thought I'd give it a go!

I didn't even bother using my Waves plugins, just used the digidesign ones.

I'll try again soon.

i would'nt say its that close the digitalness is still there..but its not bad:cool:
cant beat tubes.....yet:Smokedev:

i would'nt say its that close the digitalness is still there..but its not bad:cool:
cant beat tubes.....yet:Smokedev:

Yeah man but we're talking about a $200 unit emulating one of the best sounding guitar tones of all time.

A mesa Mk CII+ and Bob Rock are gonna set you back a bit more cash than a POD.

Yeah man but we're talking about a $200 unit emulating one of the best sounding guitar tones of all time.

A mesa Mk CII+ and Bob Rock are gonna set you back a bit more cash than a POD.
yeah your right about that for $200 its not bad...