Hey Bumblefoot, we won!

WHOOOO!!!

i was working when the game was on. Lucky, i work in a electronics store - the whole back wall was covered in tv's showing the game! it was awesome - really close!

On my way home ( a 10 minute drive) there were about 15 cars with canada flags hanging out their windows, and tons of kids on the sidewalks with flags and "go canada" flags. There were cars honking their horns the whole way home!! I love it - i've never seen this many people THIS excited about something. :)

Go Canada!!!

Yeah Canada? More like yeah NHL.

The game sounded like the NHL All-Star game to me. Surely didn't seem like an Olympic game - probably because I knew every player on both teams.

But it was nice to see Canada end their 50-year gold medal drought, and to have them win golds in both men and womens.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
is (ice) hockey even considered a sport where you live?:confused:

Not sure who this was directed at - but we have an NHL team in town - the Boston Bruins. Ice hockey is huge here.

Originally posted by Ecstatic Youth
Canada IS hockey.

Damn straight, and as if the nick "Hoser" didn't give it away, I'm a proud proud Canadian, and when the Hockey game was won I grabbed my flag and went honking in traffic with all the young yahoos for awhile.

MMCPA - This was great for the NHL because apparently more Americans watched this hockey game than any ever before and it was a GREAT GREAT hockey game.

It seemed to me though, that there was a lot of pressure on the Americans to relive the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" thing and just generally win things that make the country feel good about itself in light of all that war/terrorism stuff. However, as quoted above, CANADA IS HOCKEY and there was HUGE pressure on Team Canada to bring the gold back to the home of hockey, reclaim national pride, redeem the '96 World Cup loss, etc. etc.

It's amazing how that game affected this country. You guys elsewhere probably don't realize this, but the nation of Canada effectively shut down for 2 hours to watch this game. Even my workplace (the stuffiest restaurant in the world, I'm sure, with the chinciest boss) had a TV with the game on. When it was over, hundreds of thousands of Canadians (probably in the millions in total) streamed into streets in downtown cores of all the major cities to wave flags, honk, cheer, drink beer :headbang: :devil:, party and celebrate, and did so for HOURS, until night fell.

If (silly hypothetical) Canada was invaded by a foreign country, and we scraped together some cheap militia and somehow managed to defeat them and drive them off Canadian soil and defended our very freedom... that wouldn't come anywhere NEAR as close as the joyous, yet almost militaristic frenzy we're whipped into by a single hockey game, wherein our millionaire pros beat some other millionaire pros.

It was a great hockey game, though. :)