Hey Guru (and other recording savy folk)

Souls of Black

Thrashing Tempest
Jul 2, 2002
Visit site
I just got a new computer - i7 860 with win 7.

Got any suggestions on recording software? I have looked at several websites and like the Protools M 2 factory bundle at guitar center. I do not have any experience with computer recording (only thing I have ever recorded with is a old 4 track tape). I have concerns about compatibility with Win7 64 bit.

So what would you suggest? Protools, Cubase, others? Again, I am a total newbie to comp recording.

I would like to keep it under $750 for software and interface if possible.

It's really all preference, Cubase 5 works on windows 7 64bit deff because im running it right now :p, personally I find Cubase easier to use than Protool, but i hear some people say the complete opposite, you might want to check out Reaper, that seems to be the up and coming one, and to me i seem to have had an easier time understanding it than Protools.

At under 750? You're probably best going with that bundle... Assuming by the M2 you mean this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digidesign-Pro-Tools-Mbox-2-Factory-Bundle-773407-i1177447.gc that is.

The windows 7 64bit support can be a slight pain in the ass initially as the drivers digi have released (for pretty much anything and everything) on w7 64 have been frankly shit. If you're going to go for it, definitely stick with pro tools on the front end, as it has major problems interfacing with others.

Problems with Windows 7 64 and pretty much any interface are to be expected though... it took nearly 2 years for all of these assholes to get shit right with XP. They never really managed to get it right with Vista, and Windows 7 is just starting where they left off there. (I swear to fuck half the shit that gets bought in terms of audio is useless in a year because of shit fucking drivers)

If you're willing to kick it straight to the 750 notch, provided you have monitors already, I would personally suggest on a windows 7 64 system a combo of the Motu Ultralite-Mk3 Hybrid (firewire/usb interface) and (gasp!) Sonar 8.5 Producer 64bit. That would run up near 750 when all is said and done (could be cheaper by cutting corners on sonar and just doing 8.5 studio), however, in terms of compatibility with win 7 64, it's fairly decent, and MOTU is actively working on the drivers to keep it strong.

I still regret going LE than M-Audio. Need more inputs!

LE and M-Powered are exactly the same under the hood. ;)

There are other LE compatible interfaces that'll give you more inputs than the MBoxes, like the 002, 003 etc. The M-Audio interfaces are usually a bit better.

But in the end, it's ALL Avid.

For $750, I'd get:

Reaper - $60 (you can evaluate it for as long as you want before actually buying the license)
A pair of KRK Rokit Powered 5 Generation 2 - $300
M-Audio Fast Track Pro - $199
and spend the rest on cables, mics, acoustic treatment etc.

That'll provide you with a real solid first set-up as long as you don't want to track drums (not enough inputs). The M-Audio interface gives you the possibility to move to Pro Tools later on, if you wish.

Reaper is most definitely not the most beginner friendly DAW, but the community will help you getting started. Pro Tools is a real bitch under Win 7 x64, you'll only get it to run if you fuck with the registry. Avid is a BITCH when it comes to properly supporting their DAW.

Also, Pro Tools LE/M-Powered has a limited track count, no delay compensation and doesn't feature VST-compatibility.

Cubase is nice, but you pay $499 to get the same functionality as the $60 Reaper.

For now, I'd also stick to a 32-bit DAW, even if you're using a x64 OS.

Take your pick...

LE and M-Powered are exactly the same under the hood. ;)

There are other LE compatible interfaces that'll give you more inputs than the MBoxes, like the 002, 003 etc. The M-Audio interfaces are usually a bit better.
I have the mbox 2 pro right now and can't afford an 002 or 003 or I would have gotten them long ago.

cubase 5 studio is $200, if it was only 499 i wouldn't have even mentioned it :p

Cubase is nice, but you pay $499 to get the same functionality as the $60 Reaper.

Cubase 5 Studio is crippled. By no means as badly as PT LE but once your getting serious about what you're doing, things like side-chaining will sorely be missed.

Learning and mastering any DAW is a tedious experience, even though some sport an (arguably) better usability/interface than others. I just recommend the OP to give Reaper a try (as well as Sonar) before he commits to another DAW he hasn't had the chance to put hands on before (Cubase Trial requires a dongle, PT demo doesn't exist anymore).

Thanks all for your ideas.

EricT - yes, that is the package I was looking at.

SVY - Thanks for the input. After reading many of your posts on Andy's board I do value your opinion. I think that the recommendations you make sound very appealing. I do have one question, how important would you say the monitors are as opposed to just using headphones? Most of what I would record would be only me on various instruments and only using drum machines/programs no actual set would be recorded.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me to learn all of this....

Both monitors and headphones have their specific use, ideally you'd use them in conjunction for different tasks (i.e. headphones for tracking and referencing, monitors for mixing).

Headphones have the advantage of neglected room influence which makes them a good alternative for mixing in acoustically untreated rooms. BUT: Not every headphone is suited for mixing, you can have the most expensive closed headphones that are excellent for tracking, but your mixes will end up sounding like crap because of the badly represented the low-end.

If you consider mixing/referencing on cans, look out for semi-open ones. Audio Technica, AKG (classics), Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic have some nice ones in their lines.

Anyway, let's say you have some quality semi-open cans that give you an accurate frequency response, you'll still experience your mix differently from monitors because of the absolute stereo separation and high proximity of cans. This may lead you to wrong decisions concerning the stereo image and (relative) levels of instruments. So the advantage of having no room influence might already be negated.

Monitors are the way to give you good balanced mixes in the long run, but it's always great to have quality cans around that you know like the inside of your pocket to reference against the insufficiencies of your monitors and room.

Reaper.

It's 50 bucks and it's easier to use than Cubase, and just as good as long as you aren't doing a lot of MIDI.

Don't go protools...you get too tied into the equipment and you pay a premium for it.

I am using nothing but Reaper nowadays. Its cheap works extremely well. The workflow in my option destroys Pro Tools and it supports RTAS, VST, and DXI Plugins!

Whats not to love .....sorry been out of town for 2 weeks. I have some catching up to do.

OH ... for MIDI editing and programming I use Cakewalk :)

Ya MIDI editing in reaper is lacking but I don't do much of it nowadays. I play most of my keys and what not live!

EDITED: I forgot Monitors ...lol

Ok so here is the full digs for you Souls ......

If this is just a home project studio and you need minimal inputs:

Audio Interface: $149.00 http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Audiobox-USB-104841978-i1388074.gc
DAW: Reaper $60 http://www.reaper.fm/
Alesis 520 Active Monitors $199.99 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-...-i1153179.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=32652189
Microphone: Sure SM57 w/ cable and stand $ 109.00 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-SM57-Mic-with-Cable---Stand-485304-i1506457.gc
Drums: Slate Drums EX (Midi programmable drums recorded in a pro studio. These are the rage right now) $99 http://stevenslatedrums.com/order3.html

Total $616.00 plus shipping and tax right in your price range :)

This should get you some great results with time and some effort :)

That is almost the exact same setup I am using other then:

I have a Focsrite Saffire Interface with 8 Inputs $499.00
I use Slate Platinum with the Metal & More Expansion $150.00 (they are on sale 2 for 1 right now!)
In addition to the SM57 I also use an Audix i5 $99.00 and an Sennhiser 421 ($329.99)

With just that I did this:
http://www.myspace.com/babilos

The entire thing was done with:
Steven Slate Drums sound replacing the real drummer
Peavey Valve King Amp ($399.99)
Ibanez Tube Screamer ($149.99)
My 71 Les Paul Clone
Marshall Vintage Cab with Vintage 30s
Audix i5

I played the the Guest Solo on the song Psychopathic Ritual with my Ibanez RG

This is very helpful, thanks!!!

Not sure if I will be getting these this pay period or next, but I am very excited to try this out. :headbang:

The links you put in there Jason, that sounded really good man. I may have to hit you up for some tips from time to time.:worship:

This is very helpful, thanks!!!

Not sure if I will be getting these this pay period or next, but I am very excited to try this out. :headbang:

The links you put in there Jason, that sounded really good man. I may have to hit you up for some tips from time to time.:worship:

I am actually remixing and mastering all those tracks now. I learned some new things in the past few months that should make it so much better!