hey jews

I'm not a jew myself, but my housemate is Israeli (by birth, an American citizen now, so as not to start another immigrants thread :lol: ) and we are having catering by a local guy tonight. Mmm...Israeli home cooking. A perfect blend of Eastern European and Mediterranean foods.

Jews have the best holidays, foodwise.

Lord Foul said:
I'm not a jew myself, but my housemate is Israeli (by birth, an American citizen now, so as not to start another immigrants thread :lol: ) and we are having catering by a local guy tonight. Mmm...Israeli home cooking. A perfect blend of Eastern European and Mediterranean foods.

Jews have the best holidays, foodwise.

heyyyyyy I'm Israeli too and American now.
Israel and America sleep together you know that.... :Smug:

Yeah, we really do have the best holidays.
3 weeks off work every year... and great food :)
what is he cooking????

yum ;/ I wish I was home with my mom's cooking :(

its: "tzabarit" Lizard, not Sabra ;)

and tonight is the seder actually...

my contribution for the holiday tonight
was going to an italian restaunrant, and NOT order any pasta dish
(pasta is not kosher on passover) my goodness- I'm becoming a softy.
I did however, had a lot of wine.

LECHAIM Pyrus! :loco:

optimusjew.jpg

My chef/teacher at school is a Jew, and when I was making potato pancakes one day she was watching me like a hawk. (lolz beaks)

We did a condensed version of the short form of the abridged Haggadah, which I am told is pretty standard for Israeli families. You get about 6 pages in and then go "ah screw it, let's eat!" We always do the Ten Plagues though. That's the best part.

Aside from the standard Passover fare (salt water, Pesach, Matzoh, Moror) we had some sort of chicken, some sort of beef, soup, potatoes, eggs, liver, pickled fish, etc. Mostly an eastern european dinner, as the family is of polish/romanian descent. No kishke - tragic. It's like hebrew haggis.

Typical Israeli food is a mix of the aforementioned eastern european recipes (since a large portion of Israeli families are from those countries) and traditional middle eastern or mediterranean foods. Pita with hummus and tahini, lamb, olives, kebabs, a lot of eggplant and squash dishes, some interesting meat and veggie pastry thingies. There's an aged yogurt sauce that I like - the name escapes me

Mediterranean food can be spicy, but pales in comparison to Indian food

IMO, nothing is spicier than TAI
seriously they even get their own name for spicy: "tai hot"
now, when you say that in a restaurant, they always look at you like:
"you sure you want tai hot?"
almost like when you turn your computer off and they want to be SURE
you want to do it.
then you say yes, and prepare for the spiciest meal of a life time.

I know so many friends who like spicy food and when they came to tai restaurants they couldn't believe how strong it was..

but anyhoo: I think Israeli food is mainly a combo of medeterinean (mostly)
and then a combo of middle eastern-european.
I personally LOVE Israeli food... its the exact opposite of "all american food"
70% vegetables, everything is almost always low fat, a lot of cheeses (soft cheeses 5% fat tops- and boy those are GREAT, goat cheeses, its very healthy... an "proper" traditional Israeli breakfast is 1 or 2 eggs,
with a huge salad near it (tomatos, cucumbers, bellpepepers, and parsley all
choped together) and at least 3 kinds of cheeses and bread.
and thats it.

I miss all the healthy stuff and the fact that I could buy 3KG bell peppers
or tomatos for 5 bucks :erk:

on the oter hand: israel make shit beer.

on the other hand: our wine rule.

glad you enjoyed your meal Lord Foul!!! :)
All I did was going to an italian restaurant, NOT ordering a pasta dish
(thats the least I could do LOZ0RZ)
and drink planty of wine.

I have a mediterranean/Israeli delicatessen two minutes from my house, and I agree with all you fine folks...the food is divine.