Hey ripman...

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
I couldn't reply to your PM fer some reason... so... hmmm...

To tell you the truth, i have NO idea what scales friedman was using during the spanish solo in holy wars... i can play it, but i never really looked into it too much... i gather he's just dicking around with a few different scales, as it seems to stay in one key, although it goes way off in terms of scales... i would be surprised if he even wrote it over a progression... i would assume phrygian, but then it has more of a middle eastern sound to it rather than just spanish so... hmm... wow, i'll write it out for you if you like, and i'll do my best to work out what it's in etc...

The question about alexi... well... i haven't heard much children of bodom, and to tell you the truth, i really don't think he uses harmonic minor much (like i said, from what i've heard)... it seems pretty generic minor/major scales, like Iron Maiden on speed, or In Flames on speed... I've only heard one or two songs, from Follow The Reaper... and it was only minor/major stuff, and most the solos were either diminished or augmented sweeps, with minor runs etc... We're you after any song in particular? I can't download at the moment, but i can get their stuff pretty easily, so if you want me to analyze something/have a listen etc, just let me know... I'm pretty interested to hear more of their stuff...

Hangar 18... Awesome song, and that first solo is nuts, it actually reminds me of one of the middle sections to Perennial Quest, just the riff underneath the solo, and then the harmonic minor BULLSHIT ( :lol: ) over the top... I've got the sheetmusic to it here somewhere i think, i learnt the solo for my yr 12 exams a while ago, so i think i can remember most of it... I'll find the tab somewhere and have a read of it, and let you know if i can find out whatscales etc... i think the riff underneath it is in either A or B minor from memory, but don't quote me on it... it's a nice riff that, comfortable to play, but awesome sounding...

Have you had a play of "loved to deth"?? That is a relaly awesome song to learn, i did early megadeth just as much as RIP era, very cool, back when dave wasn't afraid to play his nuts off... :D

Are you a fan of Andromeda?? Download "In The Deepest of Waters", it's prog metal, decent vocals, and the guitarist is just NUTS, flying around in all manner of modes etc... really cool riffs, kinda like Symphony X, but not as "Power metal" as them...

-Trapped

these are the specific COB songs I am wondering about:

Children of Bodom
Towards Dead End
Bed Of Razors
Lake Bodom

those 4 are pretty much what I am curious about.

I havent tried playing Loved to Deth yet, that has some wierd timing if I remember correctly.

Cool, i'll have a look for them as soon as i can...

Loved to deth isn't too hard, it's got strange phrasing though in the verse riff... very odd.