Hey what Testament CD should I get?

Apr 3, 2005
IL
Hey, what Testament CD should I get. I'm new to Testament I've heard like 9 songs. So I'm just wondering what CD i should buy.

I am a true metal head though :headbang:

MetalThrasher442 said:
Hey, what Testament CD should I get. I'm new to Testament I've heard like 9 songs. So I'm just wondering what CD i should buy.

I am a true metal head though :headbang:

"New Order" or "Practice What You Preach" are two great albums that first time Testament listeners should hear first...that's my opinion.

I love ALL of Testament's albums (except maybe The Ritual). ;)

The sound quality of the newest ones, make them the most entertaining to listen to these days. If I hade to put them in order, I would say:

1. The Gathering
2: Low
3. First Strike Still Deadly
4. Practice What You Preach
5. Demonic
6. The Legacy
7. The New Order
8. Souls Of Black
9. Live At The Fillmore
10. Return To The Apocalyptic City
11. The Ritual

Usually, the Ritual is a good album for a first-time listener, although if you're heavily into old-school thrash, New Order is a good choice. I would suggest these two. Practice What You Preach is one that got the band many fans, though you can save it for later. Avoid Legacy- it's a little too raw. Avoid the Low/Demonic/Gathering types- they're a very different sound from what we have known Testament to be, so pick them up later. Frankly, Testament is one of thoe bands with whom you can never find fault (at least if you're a die-hard fan), but if you're buying your first few albums, start with Ritual and New Order.

WARNING: Ritual is Testament's less-glamorous version of Metallica Black, and I chose that album first since "Return to Serenity" was the first song/video I had come across.

I’m a pretty new fan too and I bought The New Order first, but only because I couldn’t find The Gathering at my local Virgin! The New Order seems to be a good starting point, so get that or perhaps The Best Of Testament first. In my opinion, The Gathering rules all.

It depends what kind of metal you like. If your're into really heavy, brutal modern Thrash- "The Gathering" is a great choice. If you like more old-school Thrash- you'll like "The Legacy" and "The New Order" more. If you like it melodic (heavy/thrash)- go and get "The Ritual" and "Practice What You Preach" or "Souls Of Black". If you're into Pantera and Machine Head- you'll find "Low" perfect for yourself. Finally, if death metal is what keeps you going- "Demonic" is you're choice. "Live at The Fillmore" wouldn't be a stupid idea too.
You'll love them all sooner or later, though- I promise.

I'd say the safest choice is First Strike Still Deadly. You get the best of both worlds, the awesome old school thrash songs like Over The Wall and the Preacher, but with the great production that Testament has today, and the songs are all heavier with crazy drumming and Chuck sounds awesome on them.

Danimal said:
I love ALL of Testament's albums (except maybe The Ritual). ;)

The sound quality of the newest ones, make them the most entertaining to listen to these days. If I hade to put them in order, I would say:

1. The Gathering
2: Low
3. First Strike Still Deadly
4. Practice What You Preach
5. Demonic
6. The Legacy
7. The New Order
8. Souls Of Black
9. Live At The Fillmore
10. Return To The Apocalyptic City
11. The Ritual
agree!!!!!!

progmetalgod said:
I'm a fan of old school thrash and still my fave is The Ritual, a classic.

I'd recommend Souls of Black and Practice What you Preach for a first timer. My favorite albums are Souls of Black and the Ritual.

Demonic and Low don't even seem like Testament albums to me, i rarely listen to them. Of course i bought them to support the band. The Gathering i like DNR and true believer the best.

Still Testament is the coolest.

if u like old-skool thrash albums, u should try out Legacy (debut), New Order
then u may wanna know how the band progressed w/ a little bit slower tempo and jazzy riffa and solos, u should try out Practice What U Preach, Souls Of Black and The Ritual(even more melodic but still heavy )
of course u may wanna listen to some maturer song writing and Chuck's growl, u should try out Low, Demonic(u may say it's like a death/grind/thrash album )
finally, their last album so far was The Gathering, it had darker feelings, and still thrashed w/ some old school type riffage

in conclusion, buy'em all :D they are all killers!!

firstly; you must listen the legacy which is the first album of testament....legacy is one of the most important album in thrash metal like exodus's bonded by blood or kreator's extreme agression or slayer's reign in blood...so i think you should listen the legacy firstly...then you have to swim in testament's ocean...for example,ritual is an incredible album of testament...father skolnic played so well,different solos...another great album of testament is the gathering...in this album there are lots of metal gods...
Chuck Billy: Vocals
Eric Peterson: Rhythm/Lead Guitar
James Murphy: Lead Guitar
Steve DiGiorgio: Bass
Dave Lombardo: Drums
no other groups get a majestic players like below...so in my opinion;the gathering is the most different album of testament...
that s all i think...:)...