Hi, would someone here like to help me?

Lynxo

New Metal Member
Aug 12, 2003
Stockholm
www.acidplanet.com
I'm new here, and I tried recording with that program you recommended and also Acid I borrowed from a friend. (I play guitar btw) The problem is that it is way to loud once recorded. It sounds okay when I play it, with the sounds coming out from the speakers, but when I record, for some reason, it becomes way to high. Anybody know why? It's the same with both Acid and that program you've mentioned. (Forgot it's name.)

Could somebody please help me?

Could be what you're using to record with? Whats going into the computer? Just line in from something..? Or a mic?

Is it 'too high' to the point that you get clipping? If yer getting clipping...but sounds OK when just playing...it would have to do with the levels in the software, methinks...when you hit the 'record' button...

That's my best guess....hope that's some help to ya. Best of luck!

Oh, and welcome to the board man!

There should also be input volume you can control in the program/windows.

watch the VU meter when recording in (monitor input, not output). If the gauge is going into the red (even yellow) it is too loud....even if it sounds good coming from the PC speakers.

I have a cable from my amp which I insert into the slot where you usually out in the mic. I'm getting clipping but it still sounds okay from the speakers.
I have tried to lower all volume things that I can find, but nothing makes it lower when I record it.

What I have don so far, is lower the sounds on the amp so much that I can't hear what I'm playing myself. Only then can I record at a decent volume. But that shouldn't be necessary!! Anybody else ever had the same problem?

If you open the volume properties in windows, one of the options should be mic in (or line in, depending on where you plugged the cable in). If you don't see it in the list, you probably need to go to properties (or advanced, depending on your OS) and toggle Microphone on. Play with that level..that is the one that controls how loud it is going to your recording software.

Thanks a lot, man. I plugged it into the line in instead of the mic, and for some reason, it's lower now. Well, as long as it works! :D
Well, anyway, will probably be posting some songs soon. Hope someone's going to listen :D

lol

I don't think you are going to get much debate on that one. One of the earliest ones. There are a couple of others nobody was particularly proud of.

I listened to a couple of your tracks...is there a reason why you mix all the guitars hard left?

Yea..you are going straight into the line-in card on your pc right? Line in is a stereo jack...output from your guitar/amp is a mono signal. Whatever software you are using is assuming a stereo signal...but since you have a mono signal coming in...you get dead silence on the left channel.

This is easy to fix. There should be some way in the software to tell it that the source is a mono source..not stereo. Furthmore, depending on what you are using to do your mixing, you should be able to take your stereo recorded guitar file, convert it to mono, and re mix it in...the sound should then come from both speakers.

Hope this makes sense.

From Acid, which is the program I use since, I can't find anywhere where I can tell the program it's mono, not stereo. And when the line is going into the mic on the pc, it gets way to loud. This is driving me crazy...

Well, I installed N-track. I switched the input to the mic instead, an then lowered something in the program.
Well, the problem now is that I got normal sound coming out of the speaker, and it looks like it's normal in the program...but there is no sound when I'm playing it!
Sorry if I'm a pain in the ass btw:D