High end guitar day!!

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011

A friend of mine really wanted me to try his Suhr Modern so he sent it to me so I decided to compare it to my PRS Custom 24 and Music Man JPXI. Quality-wise they are all flawless. I mean there's NOTHING bad I have to say about how these instruments were built. All cost over 3000€ if you decided to buy one. Suhr: 3500€, PRS Custom 24 2600-3200€, JPXI: 3333€.

That being said, they are all different. The PRS is most versatile, can sound like both Gibson and Fender... can do anything really. The Suhr is sparkling bright and beautiful sounding but has the least output. The neck is just perfect on the Suhr... doesn't feel like a hockey stick like Ibanez necks.

The JPXI has piezo but other than that it's the worst out of the bunch for me at least. And that is really saying a lot since the EBMM JP6 has been a favorite of mine at a certain time. The JPXI pickups sounded like they didn't have any character when compared to the other two. The neck is not for my hands since I've got huge hands. It's super thin so I don't find support for my stretches so my hand gets tired quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean at that point I'd just have to play them for a while. Is that PRS a private stock? PRS' private stock guitars are downright beautiful. Their finishes and flamed woods are gorgeous. Something like this:

http://www.prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery/1366.php

?

I don't quite like the frog inlays, nor am I in love with the way the bridge looks or the placement of the pickup selector. Though that's one of PRS' quirks that takes time to get used too, their greens are great. That being said, when you get to guitars this nice it's all about what feels better in your hands, what sounds better in your gear, and what fits your playing style the most.

Exactly. All of these guitars would get five stars from me in a review. This is more like trying to find the things that separate these instruments. Neck thickness, pickup output, brightness etc. are all taste issues in the end. The comparison I made was with my Orange Rockerverb 100. I'll be playing these guitars through my Axe-Fx for some time also so I'll get a better review in few weeks time.

I've been GASing for this green PRS: http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24/ I just love that wooden back of the guitar and how the green looks next to it. It just looks like a million dollars. Costs over $5000. :(

I'd say that the custom 24 sounded best to me. Amazing fat distorted tones.