Want a decent backup guitar - PRS SE?

Well I know this much - if the 006 Blackjack was made with a thinner neck, I would have that puppy in a hot second...

Whoops, scratch that, they don't make a 006 Blackjack anymore! However, the 006 Hellraiser looks pretty nice, so if I could get that with a thinner neck...

I take it $2k for a Standard 24 isn't what you were looking for? :)

The SE Customs are great for the money, again, but you just gotta throw down like <$150 for a set of tuners that hold. I like Schecters a lot, I mean, I am getting another HellRaiser C7 shortly. True, the necks are on the hefty side, but nothing I couldn't get use to. If the newer models have thinner necks, then that just makes great guitars even greater. They are truly one of those companies that make guitars that should cost a lot more, in my opinion, along with the LTD Deluxe series.

~006

Hahaha, yeah man, $2k is WAAAYYYY too rich for my blood - you may have a damn good collection of recording gear amassed, but I'm still working with a few dynamic mics and a Mackie Onyx Satellite, that's where I've gotta prioritize! :lol: (oh yeah, and selling the HD147 to put towards a Recto now that I got approved for my loan :heh: ) And your point about adjustable saddles (for intonation) makes me realize in horror that my Ibanez RGA doesn't have 'em either - I've seen tons of people in metal playing 'em in low tunings (Per from SS when I saw 'em live, for example), so I can only hope that somehow it's not an issue, but oy...

And my main thing about Schecters I guess is that they're all so typically "metal" looking - I like bright or natural colors on my guitars, I really don't want a straight-up black axe, talk about cliche, and the black cherry thing, I dunno, something about it also rubs me the wrong way (probably the quilted maple top, I prefer flamed). And the C1 classics are neck-thru maple, so that's a recipe for brittleness there, no thanks (and I think the vine inlays are really tacky)

I'd honestly look for a pre-05 Schecter - I've owned 7 Schecters, and the only two that I absolutely loved were from that era. The craftmanship and overall wood quality (though that will vary from guitar to guitar regardless of year, obviously) is just way better on the older ones, for some reason. The newer ones feel coated in plastic and don't resonate as well to me.

Particularly look for the older C-1 Stealth model - that's what mine was before I lit it on fire, and I've preferred it to all of the guitars but one that I've had since, including Carvins, ESP Customs, and Jackson USA's. Best $450 I ever spent, for sure!

+1 to Jeff. My friend has a C-1 Stealth as well and has had it forever, it's a really great axe man. See if you can find one on the Bay. Black is classic, nothing wrong with that :)

If I recall he put a Duncan Distortion in his Stealth, which I'm not fond of, but it gets the job done I suppose. I've urged him to get a Duncan Custom, per Jeff's recommendation haha. The coil-tapping is really cool as well. I hate the black cherry finish that Schecter and LTD both use...it's weaksauce, mostly because of the quilt (I'm a flame maple guy only myself as well Marcus)...maybe if it were on a flame top it would be OK.

~006

Ever considered a hard-tail MusicMan Silo? They don't look real metal but they are very well built and play great. You could score one used for around $600. They come in an assortment of colors of course. That'll probably be my next guitar. A hard-tail to twin my Floyd version.

silhouettespecial01.jpg

Hahahahahahaha, yeah, sorry Metally, but I gotta side with Mike on this one, I've never liked the shape of MM guitars (the proportions seem off to me) and that bridge looks like it could be on a Fender Jagstang or something. I don't doubt that they play and sound great, though!

So for the time being, I've decided I'm gonna wait until Winter NAMM in January before I make up my mind - if ESP comes out with some other colors for the EMG-equipped H 500, then I'll be all over it! (and probably will even if they don't)

I'm going to have to recommend the PRS SE models. And the tuners actually aren't bad at all. If you get one though, you absolutely MUST get a new nut installed. They come from the factory with a cheap plastic thing that kills your sustain as well as any tuning stability. With that said, I put a new graphite nut on my Paul Allender, and I can dive-bomb all day and it returns to pitch everytime. Any of the other models, though and I would recommend a pickup swap. I put a pair of EMG 85s in my Tremonti SE as well as upgraded the nut, and that is my main rhythm guitar now (the non-adjustable bridge intonates perfectly as long as you don't use a wound g string. I use mine in drop A# with a set of 12-54) I really love the neck on the Allender though. Very nice shape to it.

My biggest problem with PRS guitars is this:

main4.jpg

Upper fret access is a bit weird on these. Ever notice Mikael Åkerfeldt doesn't solo very high on the fretboard? In spite of that, they are beautiful guitars that sound amazing, and the craftsmanship, even on the SE models is very good.

I own a Paul Allender Se PRS. Its really an amazing guitar, but it has tunning difficulties, do you happen to know anything about it? because I have met another guy who has the same paul allender model, and his guitar has the same problem. Thanx for ur time!!

Most likely the crappy stock nuts they put on guitars. Even newer Gibsons have this issue.

Take it to a reputable tech and have him cut you a custom bone nut. I'm doing this very soon!

Tuning issues on hardtails are almost always nut related from what I've seen. Most people overlook this.

-Joe

Well the nuts on a lot of guitars have crappy slotting jobs. Meaning, the slots in the nut are cut carelessly and cause the string to bind. If you notice, sometimes you will turn the tuning peg and the string doesn't change pitch at all. That means that it's binding. These said guitars usually have cheap plastic nuts.

A properly cut bone or graphite nut will have much better tuning stability.

Also, if you up the gauge on your guitar and still have a stock cut nut, it will mess with tuning as well from what I've seen.

-Joe

Yeah they come stock with really cheap plastic (almost like a hard rubber) nuts on them. I put some graphite nuts on both of my SEs and now the tuning is rock solid. Even on my allender without locking tuners, I can rock the tremolo all day and it doesn't even budge out of tune. The tuners are actually pretty good, but the nut is just awful.

MA...Mike Amott? He's got a sig. V out with Dean now

Oh right, Mikael Akerfeldt - no clue, I had forgotten about that!