High tempo, fast paced Jazz...

viewerfromnihil

Vein-Marbled Tower
May 29, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Recommendations plz. I've been listening to a bunch of Big Band Jazz lately and am starting to move deeper into it. I'm not a big fan of the slower stuff but I love the fast stuff.

Some Ray Charles stuff falls into that category, but it's more leaning on the R&B side.

Big Band unfortunately is not where I start or are too interested in within jazz... but there is certainly some blazing fusion......... Mahavishnu, for example..textbook..

If I can stray apart from Big Band I'll recommend Return To Forever for some good Jazz fusion, the album No Mystery has tracks high in energy.

Also check out Roy Eldridge, he's got some fast stuff as well. I dunno what your definition of fast is though.

Some good, fast, real jazz can be heard by starting with Pat Martino, Dave Brubeck Quartet and Joe Pass, among many others.

Check out Pat Martino's "East!" and "Think Tank", DBQ's "Time Out" and Joe Pass' "For Django"

Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra and the like, while very fast and very enjoyable at times are more fusion and not Bebop, Post-bop or Modal type Jazz.