Jazz Metal

DoctorDRG

--------------------
May 2, 2013
I don't know how many people hear listen to jazz, but it's my first love for sure.
I was just wondering whether anyone has found any bands that have managed to successfully record a 'jazz metal' album.

There are a few albums that incorporate instruments common to jazz, such as the saxophone on Ulver's 'Perdition City', but they haven't really got the heaviness of metal.

12ulver.jpg

The closest I've come to what I'm looking for is the German experimental band Counter-World Experience, in that it has improvisation in abundance.

340114.jpg

Any recommendations guys?

That is some good stuff actually. Really nice. It's got that John Zorn avante-garde feel. Thanks for the reccomendation!

The only jazz element of 'Written in Waters' is the drumming I feel, but it's a killer album nonetheless. The second half in particular is absolutely stunning.

Aghora is pretty good. Stupidly, I never thought about searching metal-archives! Thanks for the suggestions.

Very cool thread! Jazz metal is awesome, i know very little of it so will be checking out these suggestions.

This band is pretty interesting

This band is pretty fun

and this band is very French

Last edited by a moderator:
Akphaezya and La Rumeur des Chaînes are both fantastic. Diablo Swing Orchestra reminds me of Mr Bungle, which isn't a bad thing at all! Thanks for reccomendations.

Also, just found these guys. The last track is a cover of a King Crimson song with guest vocals by Enslaved's Grutle Kjellson:

Not sure if I have anything to contribute that you havent heard of but ill try :

Oh I am definitely getting as much of that Counter world experience as i can been looking for a band like that for a while :p