Looking for Early precursors to Metal and some Jazz

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
Really starting to get into bands who had metal influences before metal was a genre in the 70s. Been listening to a lot of King Crimson and absolutely love them. I like a little bit of zeppelin, mostly just immigrant song and achilles last stand.

Any other older bands I should check out?

Also looking to hear some good Jazz, since I'm really liking jazz-influenced metal bands I wanna check out the original genre more. Any complex, interesting, and if possible heavy, jazz recommendations would be appreciated. Also I need to listen to some good deep-voiced scat singers (I'm vocals for my high school band and we're trying a jazz-metal fusion style).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the first part: Definetaly Blue Cheer and "Vincebus Eruptum" as well as High Tide and their "Sea Shantles" - so fucking heavy for its time. Sir Lord Baltimore is another AMAZING band, with absolute proto-metal energy and raw power. These are 3 bands that it's easy to find their albums as well, apart from the part that are musically awesome. But really the list of this kind of bands is endless, and a simple namedroping wouldnt be of any help.

About the second part, i only like guitar driven jazz/fusion music, like Mahavishnu Orchestra and Al Di Meola. Get "Elegant Gypsy" by Di Meola and "Birds Of Fire" by the M. Orchestra for a start, it's impossible not to like these two.

For jazz...
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Thelonious Monk
Charlie Parker
Bill Evans
Art Tatum
Louis Armstrong (trumpet playing, not singing)
Weather Report
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Pat Martino
Wes Montgomery
Charlie Christian
Duke Ellington