Looking For Good Jazz And Ambient

Raumien

Pepsi Fiend
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
As the title says, looking for some good Jazz and Ambient music. Also, if you know of any good message boards for these genres, do tell. :)

well sort of good ambiental, well the one I can listen is Enya, Enigma... Tori Amos is great... nothing else is on my mind right now

Jazz:

Ornette Coleman
Some of John Zorn's work, but not a lot of it
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Weather Report(fusion)
Mahavishnu Orchestra(fusion)
Zappa(specifically the albums Hot Rats, Waka/Jawaka, and Grand Wazoo)

Ambient:

Brian Eno

Jazz:
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Terence Blanchard - Bounce

Ambient:
Ulver - Lychantropen Themes

I'm trying to explore both genre more myself, especially ambient.

Sun Ra- jazz
Im not a huge jazz fan, but SUn Ra is the weirdest, most brilliant music ive heard.

Electronica /Ambient
The Future SOund Of London- get lifeforms
Coil- everything is good by COil
Karlheinz Stockhausen- Mantra, arditti quartet-helikopter-streichqartett
Iannis Xenakis, Grigori Ligeti modern classical/electronic
Of course Aphex Twin
Cabaret Voltaire
Current 93
Autechre- although i am iffy on them

More I just remembered all ambient/electronic

Dead Can Dance

Nurse With WOund

U must get both Themes from Willaims Blakes Marriage, and Perdition City by Ulver as well

speed said:
Sun Ra- jazz
Im not a huge jazz fan, but SUn Ra is the weirdest, most brilliant music ive heard.

Electronica /Ambient
The Future SOund Of London- get lifeforms
Coil- everything is good by COil
Karlheinz Stockhausen- Mantra, arditti quartet-helikopter-streichqartett
Iannis Xenakis, Grigori Ligeti modern classical/electronic
Of course Aphex Twin
Cabaret Voltaire
Current 93
Autechre- although i am iffy on them
Can you list some albums to check out by Iannis Xenakis, Grigory Ligeti, Cabaret Voltair, Current 93, Nurse With Wound and Dead Can Dance? Some of those have tons of releases and I have no idea where to start.

Don´t know if this is really ambient, but I´d recommend:

The Third And The Mortal - "Nightswan", "Painting On Glass", "In This Room" (actually, I like their first two releases "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" even more, yet they are usually labeled as "gothic metal" - but luckily there´s no male grunting -, and their latest release "Memoirs" has been described as "Musique Noir", but maybe you´d like it, too)

Tactile Gemma - "Tactile Gemma"

As for Dead Can Dance, which have already been mentioned, I´d recommend their albums "Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun" and "Toward The Within".
If you like Lisa Gerrard´s voice (she´s the female "half" of Dead Can Dance), you should also check out her solo albums "The Mirror Pool", "Duality" and "Immortal Memory".

Mila Mar - "Nova" (on this album, which sounds a bit similar to some Dead Can Dance stuff, vocalist Anke Hachfeld sang only sounds, just like Lisa Gerrard usually does)

Another album which might qualify as ambient is "Foretold In The Language Of Dreams" by The Natacha Atlas & Marc Eagleton Project.

If you are looking for new age jazz try Joyce Cooling,Candy Dulfer,John Patitucci, old school jazz check out some Billy Hoiday and Pat Martino. For ambient stuff I think mogwai is a pretty cool ambient band but don't quote me on that I might have the wrong band.

It really depends on how experimental you wish to get Ageless- would u prefer more traditional- or just plain fucked up music?

Within the context of jazz, I can think of no greater album to recommend than Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue." Wonderfully soothing music.

Also, I'm not entirely certain that it can be considered ambient, but there's this unique celtic-jazz project by the name of Skyedance that's really fascinated me recently. Just download or listen to the track "When She Drives," and perhaps you'll instantly fall in love with them as I did.

Thats a damn good question Ageless( i cant remember this new name), I guess i just made it up.

Ok for Ligeti try La Grande Danse Macabre, Gawriloff. For Xenakis try orestia, Electronic music, his chamber music cds are interesting. Ok course try Messiaen if you like this kind of classical. Ive been reading up on it for while, to make up for my lack of knowledge of musical theory.

Hm Coil try, Loves Secret DOmain, Horse Rotovator, Backwards, all good shit off the tip of the head.

Ahh, nearly forgot about this thread. Thanks for the reccommendations people, I'm taking 70$ to my local shop tomorrow and bringing with me a list of all these albums. :)

Check out Bohren & Der Club of Gore. German ambient sax jazz - very mature in composition - excellent records - buy them all.