Hilarious audio tech bollocks

ManFromMars

Feb 12, 2006
There are some pretty fantastical claims made in the high-end audio world, some of which are more hilarious than others.

Here are some good ones:
Digital cables of varying 'musical quality'
Machina Dynamica (fave product: flying saucers)
PWB Electronics free tips (props for giving these "fantastic" bits of advice away for free...)
And perhaps my personal favourite: the £70 USB cable for super authentic sound... with a 5 star review in What HiFi? :eek: Vertere Pulse D-Fi

(Bonus: an excellent parody:
The Elemental Voice range of acoustic treatments )

Any particular bits of "audio-woo" you've come across that you'd like to share?

The reviews for these always made me lose my shit.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-Terminated-Speaker-Cable/dp/B000J36XR2[/ame]

and

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/dp/B000I1X6PM[/ame]

My favourite, from gearslutz:

"I have finally accepted after doing some audible tests, that more expensive cables do sound better. My wallet wishes I hadn't.. ..At present, the Looms are the same length, with the closer room's loom's excess being rolled up. I did this because I was told that it would be good to have them at the same length so the signal reached the source at the same time. "

It'd be fun to know how these kinds of things are started to give as an advice.. :D

DIGITALC_l.jpg

That's some hard, peer-reviewed, quantified science right there.

Plain piece of Blue paper under any vase of flowers or any pot plant in the listening room.If you have a vase of flowers or a pot in a plant pot in the listening room, stand the vase or the plant pot on a plain piece of BLUE paper. Listen to some music for a short time, then remove the piece of Blue paper and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure - without the piece of Blue paper in position !!

My favourite, from gearslutz:

"I have finally accepted after doing some audible tests, that more expensive cables do sound better. My wallet wishes I hadn't.. ..At present, the Looms are the same length, with the closer room's loom's excess being rolled up. I did this because I was told that it would be good to have them at the same length so the signal reached the source at the same time. "

It'd be fun to know how these kinds of things are started to give as an advice.. :D

actually that is somethingi heard also by some professional which i got some lessons from. i guess that its almost not audible, but i have been told that when trying to reach maximum phase allignment when using 2 microphones for overheads for example, its important to use cables with the same lenght, to avoid minor phase issuses because if one cable is significatly longer there will be a minor delay between both mics which might cause some phase issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, October 6, 2012
By reader - See all my reviews
This review is from: AudioQuest NRG WEL Signature Series 6 Feet AC Power Cable (Electronics)
I was delighted with this purchase until I discovered that the NRG WEL, rather than me, was the father of our youngest son.

Oh shit, that one has me in stitches.

actually that is somethingi heard also by some professional which i got some lessons from. i guess that its almost not audible, but i have been told that when trying to reach maximum phase allignment when using 2 microphones for overheads for example, its important to use cables with the same lenght, to avoid minor phase issuses because if one cable is significatly longer there will be a minor delay between both mics which might cause some phase issues.

But that's kind of the point of a stereo configuration.

Audio travels at nearly the speed of light through cables. Moving a mic a millimeter will have a greater impact than adding some meters of cable.

Audio travels at nearly the speed of light through cables.

Depends what you consider "nearly". The speed of wave propagation varies quite greatly depending of (mainly) insulator used in cables and may be only half of speed of light in vacuum. Not that it matters much in current discussion, but it's important to know.

On more "serious" topic ... Cables are so eighties to tune your audio equipment. In 21th century you should use Pretzel Logic Reef Knot Devices and Brilliant Pebbles.

Doesn't anybody who has ever "burned in" speakers fall in this camp?

I'm always curious to find out where the line is drawn between wanting the best from your set up and becoming a full-blown-nut-job audiophool.