Hilarious story from a session today

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
So i was recording drums for a band today, and I full communicated to the lead singer (the only member I ever met/talked to) about bringing their kit and how I am going to mic it and such. The drummer walks in and doesn't even say "Hi my name is *dickhead*!" he was just like, "where's your kit?" To which I responded, "I don't have one, That's what you are for?" :err: We proceeded to talk about how I apparently told him I had a kit, even though I didn't ever even say a single word to him in my life. Anyway, he ended up telling the band he was leaving because he thought "this place was unprofessional."

Later on in the session, after it had actually been going surprisingly well he texted the band and said that he quit. :OMG: Life is good my friends.

To me it´s pretty clear you had to deal/you are dealing with total morons. I love people that turn shit around, for eg the drummer you mentioned... Send them home, cause they (the drummer) is beeing unprofessional.
How did the whole situation turn out?

This reminds me of this time that I recorded this terrible high school band. The drummer was incredible and we got some awesome drum tracks.

When it came to guitars, I was getting the whole DI set up ready (pod farm/impulses, etc.) and the kid was like "I REALLY want to mic my amp, can we do that instead?" So I talked to him about personally what I think would sound best, offered to use my amps (I've mic'd numerous amps before and they all sounded pretty good in my opinion) but the kid was adamant. I proceeded to mic up his 15 watt Line-6 combo amp, and needless to say there wasn't much I would really do to save it.

Bassist was alright, not too much trouble there.

The vocalists. Holy god. The singer was completely monotone and had a case of the studio jitters so he sang really soft and inaudible. The screamer was doing inhales and I'm already not a fan of inhales, but he sounded like a wounded pterodactyl.

Anyways, shoot to 2 years later, I added one of the kids on Facebook because he was in a new band and I heard they were a lot better than his old band. I go to his profile and he had a status like "looking for places to record my new band!" And under it, the guitarist from the old band commented on it and said "Anyone other than that guy we went to last time, because he had NO idea what he was doing and made us sound like shit."

Anyways, I totally know what you're going through haha. There's always that one band/member that thinks they're hot shit until they get to the studio and realize they're the exact opposite..

This reminds me of this time that I recorded this terrible high school band. The drummer was incredible and we got some awesome drum tracks.

When it came to guitars, I was getting the whole DI set up ready (pod farm/impulses, etc.) and the kid was like "I REALLY want to mic my amp, can we do that instead?" So I talked to him about personally what I think would sound best, offered to use my amps (I've mic'd numerous amps before and they all sounded pretty good in my opinion) but the kid was adamant. I proceeded to mic up his 15 watt Line-6 combo amp, and needless to say there wasn't much I would really do to save it.

Bassist was alright, not too much trouble there.

The vocalists. Holy god. The singer was completely monotone and had a case of the studio jitters so he sang really soft and inaudible. The screamer was doing inhales and I'm already not a fan of inhales, but he sounded like a wounded pterodactyl.

Anyways, shoot to 2 years later, I added one of the kids on Facebook because he was in a new band and I heard they were a lot better than his old band. I go to his profile and he had a status like "looking for places to record my new band!" And under it, the guitarist from the old band commented on it and said "Anyone other than that guy we went to last time, because he had NO idea what he was doing and made us sound like shit."

Anyways, I totally know what you're going through haha. There's always that one band/member that thinks they're hot shit until they get to the studio and realize they're the exact opposite..

Haha, that sounds like a nightmare. I borrowed a friend's Line 6 Spider 15 watt as a practice amp since my Peavey 6505 is in the rehearsal place. But it barely works for practice, i almost rather play unlpugged than turn that shit on ^^

To me it´s pretty clear you had to deal/you are dealing with total morons. I love people that turn shit around, for eg the drummer you mentioned... Send them home, cause they (the drummer) is beeing unprofessional.
How did the whole situation turn out?

In all honesty it turned out alright. I have no clue what possessed me to proceed to record them you know? I should have told them to just go home. I think because the rest of the band was on my side, and was apologizing for their (now ex)drummer. I found out later that we was talking shit on the studio on Facebook, which is almost funny because he was there for all of 5 minutes and could barely see it from all the tears in his eyes.

... he sounded like a wounded pterodactyl.

... "Anyone other than that guy we went to last time, because he had NO idea what he was doing and made us sound like shit."

This is one of the best posts I've read in a long time cvdpoel hahaha.

I love it when the guitarists want more "bass" in their guitar tone.

"Yeah buddy, -.- that is why the "bass guitar" exists."

He responds "Nah man, that ain't me."

I never did finish their album =]

Poor cvdpoel.

ahRYIdM.png