History - Is it Really?

OldScratch

Aug 17, 2006
USA
*"History - An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools."
- Ambrose Bierce

* "History is more or less bunk."
- Henry Ford

* "A historian who would convey the truth must lie. Often he must enlarge the truth by diameters, otherwise his reader would not be able to see it."
- Mark Twain

* "Anybody can make history. Only a great man can write it."
- Oscar Wilde

* "All history becomes subjective; in other words there is properly no history, only biography."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

* "To demand exactitude of history would be to offend against the idea of the strictness that pertains to the humanistic sciences."
- Martin Heidegger

Speed's recent thread about the "end of history" has stuck in my mind of late and spurred more thoughts on just what history even is.
Opinions vary so widely across a wide swath of topics on just which "history" is the correct version, whether on the most mundane of issues or those that have set new socio-political paradigms, irrevocably altered populations, cultures, etc.
One has to ask just how much of what we call or know as history really is just that - and how much is something else ranging from pure fantasy to exaggeration to foggy recall to spot-on fact...at least insofar as fact is objectively applied. How much of what we think we know is even remotely close to truth or reality? Do most even care, so long as the history they think they know supports their worldview or ideals, etc?

Does it even matter?

Currently in Europe, supposedly enlightened liberal democracies, challenging certain aspects of World War Two, for instance, are already criminalized in some nations, and a move is afoot to make such inexplicably backward legislation universal throughout the EU. Similarly, though in reverse, asserting that a calculated mass-murder or genocide of Armenians did occur, is evidently a criminal act of some nature in Turkey. The cynical Pontifs of old would be proud.
What a frightening Dark Ages-like chill this casts across the very pursuit of historical truth! Must we only accept one orthodox version of any given version of history? Should we, as supposedly freedom-loving people accept such illogical efforts stifle even benign debate of major historical events? If so, then indeed it would seem that the cynicism or critical attitude toward history as noted above is probably understated.

Maybe history is dying in more ways than we even know...maybe much of it never "lived" in the first place.

Just yesterday I was fortunate enough to be able to read a newspaper from 1943. I skimmed over an article about a midnight bombing raid by 300 (probably an exageration) American B-29s over Tokio (yes, they spelled it like that). The article went on about the triumph and how some factory and other military targets were destroyed. I remember thinking how different the story must've been in the Japanese papers. I'm sure it wasn't only military facilities that were hit.

Just yesterday I was fortunate enough to be able to read a newspaper from 1943. I skimmed over an article about a midnight bombing raid by 300 (probably an exageration) American B-29s over Tokio (yes, they spelled it like that). The article went on about the triumph and how some factory and other military targets were destroyed. I remember thinking how different the story must've been in the Japanese papers. I'm sure it wasn't only military facilities that were hit.

This is a fine example. As an (armchair) student of military history I have always marveled at how many versions of even a single battle, skirmish or encounter could exist side by side, one to another. Beyond obvious propaganda and the like, there are often a variety of viewpoints, honestly offered to the best of one's recollection(unreliable) or as a direct observation(probably even less reliable) that paint very different pictures of historical events that will likely be told and re-told down through the ages until any similarity between the actual event and the accepted or common version is purely coincidental. Then of course there is the fact that in military history, most of the contemporary records, AAR's, and debriefings are penned by officers - officers who for many reasons aren't likely to put themselves, their charges or their leaders in a bad light for the sake of accurate posterity. Such is "history."

Im glad I spurred some thinking.

I wonder however, whether our current world--this orgy of signs, of well, simulation or hyppereality created by the mass media and marketing--has now become akin to history. Is reality (or the present), like history, not truly real anymore? Is the present some manipulated simulation of reality?

As a student of history, I have seen the effects of some degree of degradation from the inside. The study of history, ideally a reconstruction and analysis of past events based on documentation and evidence, is increasingly becoming tainted by political considerations. The majority of left-wing academics are more concerned with moralizing the social history of for example women and the "oppressed masses", than in actually peeling back the layers of obstruction surrounding important figures and events in order to give them proper analysis. I recall a professor claiming that in order to properly study an event such as the holocaust, one must understand the horror and essential badness of it. I thought that this was very disconcerting. In order to understand the events, and the people that perpetrated them they must be subject to rational, unbiased analysis. Moralizing the past with our own "progressive" concerns obstructs it far more than the biased testimony of witnesses.
In regards to the current state of "history", modern reality is awash in useless memes. I believe this is largely because of the internet. I don't think that the present is a "manipulated simulation of reality" yet, however it appears that we're heading down that road.

Im glad I spurred some thinking.

I wonder however, whether our current world--this orgy of signs, of well, simulation or hyppereality created by the mass media and marketing--has now become akin to history. Is reality (or the present), like history, not truly real anymore? Is the present some manipulated simulation of reality?

Actually, at the risk of veering off my own topic:rolleyes: I do believe a great deal of the present is in essence a fraud, a manipulated politically driven illusion. And the mass-media, the entertainment complex, mass-marketers, much of acedemia, and indeed the government all labor tirelessly to portray the world as they "wish it to be" much more so than it really is. Television is perhaps, the most egregious offender in how it nakedly presents, nay promotes uber-egalitarianism, homosexuality, hyper-materialism/consumerism(buy, buy, buy!) radical feminism, etc. Some will no doubt find this a progressive position to take - showing the world how it "should be" rather than how it is. But how long before this "well-meaning" deception permanently skews our whole concept of reality itself, particularly knowing how much life immitates art today? Indeed, to some degree, is this not already the case?

I read a book years ago titled, "A Conspiracy of Ignorance" which exposed the staggering degree to which the American public schools system has, in recent decades, been manipulating scores, grades and various data for a prescribed, positive outcome.(In more redent years this was found in the very "model" school district in Texas from which President Bush trotted-out his great "No Child Left Behind" success story).

One school had so many students, virtually the entire class it seemed, on the Honor Roll that a few folks in the town finally became suspicious of this rather unbelievable level of achievement. An investigation revealed that numbers were being tweaked and fudged at will, to give the impression of scholastic brilliance where none existed. Not surprisingly, many parents cried foul...but as much because they refused to believe that their little "Tiffany" or "Caleb" was in fact not a budding Einstein after all, than because their local educators were cooking the books! I wonder how many ever bothered to tell their children, lest their precious "self-esteem" be bruised?!

Actually, at the risk of veering off my own topic:rolleyes: I do believe a great deal of the present is in essence a fraud, a manipulated politically driven illusion. And the mass-media, the entertainment complex, mass-marketers, much of acedemia, and indeed the government all labor tirelessly to portray the world as they "wish it to be" much more so than it really is. Television is perhaps, the most egregious offender in how it nakedly presents, nay promotes uber-egalitarianism, homosexuality, hyper-materialism/consumerism(buy, buy, buy!) radical feminism, etc. Some will no doubt find this a progressive position to take - showing the world how it "should be" rather than how it is. But how long before this "well-meaning" deception permanently skews our whole concept of reality itself, particularly knowing how much life immitates art today? Indeed, to some degree, is this not already the case?

I read a book years ago titled, "A Conspiracy of Ignorance" which exposed the staggering degree to which the American public schools system has, in recent decades, been manipulating scores, grades and various data for a prescribed, positive outcome.(In more redent years this was found in the very "model" school district in Texas from which President Bush trotted-out his great "No Child Left Behind" success story).

One school had so many students, virtually the entire class it seemed, on the Honor Roll that a few folks in the town finally became suspicious of this rather unbelievable level of achievement. An investigation revealed that numbers were being tweaked and fudged at will, to give the impression of scholastic brilliance where none existed. Not surprisingly, many parents cried foul...but as much because they refused to believe that their little "Tiffany" or "Caleb" was in fact not a budding Einstein after all, than because their local educators were cooking the books! I wonder how many ever bothered to tell their children, lest their precious "self-esteem" be bruised?!

Oh, we couldnt agree more OldScratch.

As for history itself. I very much enjoy and agree with that quote you listed from Oscar Wilde. The good history--which is rarely written--is written by men who perhaps have their own vision of history. A vision not clouded by complete accuracy to the sources and research: the Gibbon's and Jacob Burkhardt's, the Thucydides' and Plutarch's.

QUOTE]

That idea that the present is a politically driven illusion sums up quite well what corrupt.org is all about - and that this corrupts the people into behaving in a way that is highly destructive. We have to "lift the curtain" of this illusion and see reality.

If you read a historic account from one author, he will add his bias. If you read the same historic account from a different author, his account will most likely also be skewed. In my opinion, most good history textbooks are composed of a series of anthropological and historic documents and evidence. Shit, look at clint eastwoods new movie.

Now, one could say all of our history is based on lies from corrupt and opportunistic institutions, but that is very cynical, and probably a result of lack of education. For example, when I study history, I see a plethora of different sources from different societies. When I read about world war one for example, I know I have several perspectives available, Bakunin anarchists, Marxists, capitalist, royalists etc, all giving me insight, allowing me to draw my own conclusion, I Am very libertarian in this matter.

If you personally think you are being undermined, suppressed, and fooled from the truth, I believe its because you are. I don’t blame this state of mind as a result of institutionalized conspiracies however, but more of a self-fulfilling prophecy. By surrounding your self with rhetoric dealing with anti-establishment, anti-capitalist, anti-__________, I truly believe a dangerous polarized bias develops. The best way to study history is not from a single source, but multiple perspectives. I would challenge anyone to give an example where there aren’t multiple opinions of an historic account.

If you read a historic account from one author, he will add his bias. If you read the same historic account from a different author, his account will most likely also be skewed. In my opinion, most good history textbooks are composed of a series of anthropological and historic documents and evidence. Shit, look at clint eastwoods new movie.

Now, one could say all of our history is based on lies from corrupt and opportunistic institutions, but that is very cynical, and probably a result of lack of education. For example, when I study history, I see a plethora of different sources from different societies. When I read about world war one for example, I know I have several perspectives available, Bakunin anarchists, Marxists, capitalist, royalists etc, all giving me insight, allowing me to draw my own conclusion, I Am very libertarian in this matter.

If you personally think you are being undermined, suppressed, and fooled from the truth, I believe its because you are. I don’t blame this state of mind as a result of institutionalized conspiracies however, but more of a self-fulfilling prophecy. By surrounding your self with rhetoric dealing with anti-establishment, anti-capitalist, anti-__________, I truly believe a dangerous polarized bias develops. The best way to study history is not from a single source, but multiple perspectives. I would challenge anyone to give an example where there aren’t multiple opinions of an historic account.

One could apply this standard or approach to all media, news, etc.

Although, by libertarian, to me you imply classical economic liberalism, instead of just freedom from authority/ideology.

I mentioned, in my studies of history, i am liberal, meaning I try and stress the freedom and distinction of my own views.