Vico, Heidegger, and Civilization

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Another interesting article on understanding history poetically: http://http://www.ovimagazine.com/art/2363?PHPSESSID=7c14f3ddd66f920052c49aabdd5f42d1

A passage for thought:

Here is how the hermeneutical circle functions: my own self-understanding opens up history for me. In turn, when I understand history thus it has an effect on me by making explicit my implicit identity. Once I know what that identity is, what it means to be human, then I can come before the past not as its passive by-product but as a dynamic prosecutor. I can oppose my own identity to history and interact with it. Here history imitates life which is not passive as the Cartesian paradigm suggests (i.e., the extension of matter into space), but rather active and dynamic (the interaction of matter and spirit) as implied by the Vichian paradigm. Dante and Vico point the way. They don’t merely supply us with information about historical processes. They do much more. They teach us, the readers to bring a self to oppose to history in dialogue, thus rendering us capable of having and experience of the self.

A question about cyclic history: how do we know it's cyclic if we're still, supposedly, in the first cycle?

is the article called New Paradigms of the Idea of Europe? the link isn't working. it's not working on the thoreau one either but i was able to search for it.

never mind. i found it through a search. for anyone interested, it's called The Encounter with History as Extension of the Self.

"...human impulse to overcome fleeting time with the scaffolding of human artifacts: language, literature, arty, myth, religion, music, dancing, the institutions of the family, the tribe, the nation, and so on."

makes it sound like all these things have been around more or less forever. the one thing he doesn't mention is tools, which would be the only thing on that list which has any basis in "human impulses" outside of eating, drinking and fucking which are animalistic impulses.

hmm, even tools can be questioned, but not as much as these other "constants of human nature."