holy roar recs is now doing preorders of the KD/BP split

hm. i just ordered mine.

hopefully you won't have any at fullforce and i'll feel dumb.

whatev.

are you guys also going to have the cd-r with the ones you'll be selling? i'm desperately broke at the moment, but i want that cd-r as well.

i don't think so, for a few reasons. one being that we're too broke to make any CD-rs, secondly I don't want to encourage digital swapping of these songs. I mean the idea of filesharing has its benefits, and probably doesn't affect really big or really small bands, but we're one of those bands who are right in that bracket where every single purchase affects us greatly; every five bucks that we don't make on tour determines whether or not we have gas to the next gig or food for the night.

do you think it's possible including a CD-R will increase sales significantly, though? I'm thinking of an average showgoer who listens to his iPod a lot, sees the record, thinks "that's cool", but doesn't own a record player or, at the very least, probably doesn't have digitizing capability attached to it. so instead of buying the record he'll dl the songs from a torrent site or soulseek or something.

whereas including a CD-R would enable him to make that purchase from you. the songs WILL show up online and unless you are a huge, deep, collector-minded fan of the band, you're unlikely to buy a record you can't comfortably listen to when you can get the songs for free online.

a lot of people dont have record players anymore. i learned this the hard way during thoughtstreams, because we produced a vinyl and people were constantly asking for cd's.

also: the technology of filesharing means only one person needs a digital copy to start the madness. as soon as we started selling the cd on the last tour, it was available to download. literally by a day or two later. so i disagree with toby regarding that point. if these songs haven't leaked already they will as SOON as people receive their cd-r's from holy roar.

BUT he's right that we don't really have the resources to burn cd-r's. unless we are only getting 50 copies.

also strictly on my own PERSONAL opinion, i don't concern myself with downloading and how it affects sales. i think downloading is only one part of lower sales across the spectrum of the music industry (from mom and pop stores to mega major labels). i very very rarely download, i find it to be a pain in the ass honestly..but i guess maybe since i have enough i feel its karma if it goes around the other way.

Well, how much is this record being sold for in the US--$10? ONE extra sale will pay for just about your whole run of CD-Rs...and I think you'll get more than one extra sale! (Am I misjudging the cost of CD-Rs?)

okay, how about this: I pay for the run of CD-Rs, and every time you make a sale ask the person if they would have bought it if it didn't have a CD-R, and if they say Yes I get the proceeds!

if you think more than 1-2 of them will say Yes then you should do this. if not then let me pay the $10 and make the $10 back with the one sale!

i agree with forbes that it'll already be online, and yeah people will probably buy all 50 copies we have just to collect them anyway. Making 50 CDrs will cost 25 bucks, and the songs were produced to sound better on vinyl. I'm ideologically opposed, but not because I don't want the music to be heard. Just because I think people are sometimes pretty selfish, especially in regards to the p2p community, and don't care about whom they fuck over. but maybe it's not a big deal.