Home brew

BrightEyes

Apr 7, 2006
Gold Coast
Do any of you lot dabble in home brewing? If so what are your experiences?
Was it easy, hard? Did it work the way you wanted it to.

Just went to the local home brew shop and bought a starter kit. So this is my first time brewing hoping everything comes up good.

Anyone have any tips they would like to share?

Yeah do that. I've home brewed a bit, but haven't been that impressed by my produce so far. The stout and dark ale turned out ok, but the lighter ones were disappointing. I did some cider, which worked out alright and am looking at making a batch of ginger beer pretty soon.

Make sure you sanitise everything. Last thing you want is an infection in your beer. Homebrew shops will try and sell you there stuff, but I have been using good old bleach for the last few years. Just need to rinse it out with clean cold water before you use anything

what beer are you making first?

Got the sugar drops in the kit I bought.

Im doing the recipe that came with the kit which is "Morgans Australian Lager"
So I dunno what thats like.

Its fermenting now for about 3 days so in a couple days I'll take a hydrometer reading and hopefully it should be right to bottle.

Yes i've santised everything so I just hope nothing gets infected.

I'm looking at making a European style beer like Becks or Heineken next or even a stout.

I dont wanna wait 2 more weeks though... I want it NOW!

I'm looking at making a European style beer like Becks or Heineken

Take:
1 Coopers European Lager Kit
1 25g Packet of Saaz hops
1 Packet of the recommended brew enhancer
2 pair of clean, sheer stockings
3 litres of water

Boil the water on the stove

When Boiling, and the brew enhancer, and bring to a rolling boil

Divide the hops into 3 even piles

Place 1 pile into the toe of a clean stocking and tie off (repeat for other 2 piles)

Place 1 hop bag into the boiling liquid. After 10 minutes, add the 2nd, and the 3rd 5 minutes after adding the 2nd

After 25 minutes boil time, remove from the stove and remove the hop bags.

Pour the liquid into your fermenter with your coopers european lager kit and continue your brewing process as per normal.

If all this fails, take the last remaining stocking leg and use as a balaclava to rob your local bottleo of said desired beer

Does anyone understand the hydrometer?
My brew has stopped bublling in the airlock for about 2 days now and the hydrometer reading has been 1010 for both days.
However the packet says to bottle once its reading 1005 or lower.

Should I wait a couple days because its still doing its process? Or is it ok to bottle? Its been fermenting for about 7 days now.

I always find the hydrometer really difficult to read. It bobbles around, but I never know quite what the reading is.

Finished bottling the beer. I tasted some of it and it tasted good, maybe a little too bitter. Made me feel a little dizzy after drinking though, So I guess its a good indication of the alcohol content.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll try that out next time.

The hydrometer was pretty hard to read but I think I got it worked out, or at least I hope so.

Thanks for everyones help!

I'll let you know how it turns out.