Home recording, and recording in general

WarLord Aden

Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Derbyshire, England
www.myspace.com
i'm very interested in recording music, studios, and setting up a home studio, but im not exactly experienced in it all...

.. i want to set up a home studio, and im going to start off by getting a new computer (2.13ghz processor, 160gb hardrive blah blah), then im going to get an 'Mbox 2', and use Pro Tools, and then get some Shure SM57's, and then i'll have a very, VERY basic home studio...

...so i was wondering, is anyone on here experienced in recording (Hint, Nudge, Nygard, Hint Nudge :) ).. got any tips on what to get? recording tips (like using EQ, Compression etc).. anything would be cool to be honest..

..i've a tiny amount of home recording round my friends, but hes just the same as me... we know a bit, but not enough...

...so yeah, i spose i'll start off with: What equipment do you use?

Cheers :)

I have a not that shithot PC, an AMD 1600 with 768MB of RAM, WinXP

M-Audio Delta 44 with line6 Pod 2.0 for recording geeeeetars and such like.

Recording with Cubase most of the time.

Does the job for me, handles quite a few tracks on the go at once with plenty of plugins running.

i've yet to try Pro Tools though, I've been pestered into getting it methinks...

cool

i was going to use Cubase, but then i heard about the Mbox 2 being really good, and a friend recomended it (Drummer from a band called Black Element, theyre on myspace, check them out! ;) :D ) ... and it has some features which look pretty good, but its only compatible with pro tools so...

I think the choice of software is much up to your needs. I personally use Cubase SX3, because I mainly work with MIDI/programming and I have found PT is really bad in that field. In audio PT is great - probably the best, but I wouldn't say Cubase, Nuendo, Logic etc. are bad either. Again, much up to what you do the most.

As it takes quite some time used to a new software, I recommend making yourself familiar with whatever software you have - learning to use it properly (actually reading the manual is pretty handy!) before swapping around, unless you feel there's something your software is lacking.

ProTools hasn't been very compatible in the past, but that has changed somewhat now with M-Audio M-powered. If you're going for PT, I could recommend looking into those instead of the M-box as you have more options in the harware in the lower budget range.

I am a logic man myself, i find it awesome all round for everything, its easy to record audio and to play around with audio instruments, the track automation is only ever a few clicks away, it is by far my fav. the only downside is its mac only :p so you need to invest in a mac.

I own a copy of pro tools m powered and an m-audio black box, im not a fan of it, it is just a fun to use. it always feel as its working to help you out and not cos it should.

Cubase i find to basic in its standard package but it does have a nice amount of VST's to hype it up.

No matter what you get i recomend geting Drum kits from hell by toontrack as a plug in, IMo its the best drum plug in you can get, and its a steel for around £100 :)

Yeah i have DKFH2, its great.. but i want Superior :p

And thanks for that by the way Nygard, i haven't been here for a while, but reading that just in time will probably influence my decision quite a lot.
(since i guess you have a very good idea in this field)

..and what you said about Pro Tools being bad for MIDI/programming.. hmm

I'll be using alot of MIDI plug ins, mainly EastWest Symphonic Orchestra and Drum Kit From Hell..

So i'll do some more research into finding the best sequencer for me..

I've had a little re-think, and i've decided to get rid of the whole M-Box plan.

Instead i'll get the mixer i was going to get anyway (Mackie Onyx 1620).. but buy the Firewire I/O Card also, then get a Firewire adapter for the PC, and use Sonar Home Studio (which i've been using for about over half a year-ish, so i know how to use it).

That way i can still use the mic. Preamps inside the Onyx, and have the audio go directly into the computer without having to go through its not so good soundcard (and probably destroy the sound quality :p )