Home-recording?

Elimist

Lazy Guitarist
Dec 30, 2007
Everett, WA
I want to know what kind of equipment, software, and PC hardware people use to record at home.
More specifically, to write and record all the parts yourself, track by track.

What kind of micing setup could I use for a drum kit? Voice micing suggestions? How should I record guitar parts so they don't sound terrible?

My budget... not sure right now. Let's say $600, but if I'm patient and save up I could do $1000. This isn't an area I've even really shopped around in, so I don't know what pricing is.
Also, I would rather do this on PC, but using an 8-track or something is always an option.

My general assumption is I pick up Cakewalk or equivalent and a decent soundcard, for starters. After that it's mics, cables, and 1/8th inch adapters if necessary.
But again, it's something I know very little about.

How about production techniques, like layering and tonal work? Less necessary, but if you've got some to tell... great.

$1000 is stretching it if you want good quality. You might want to go into a studio with that money and record your CD there, and ask a ton of questions and learn what the engineer is doing. You'll have a good idea of what you need, as well as a good idea of what you'll be doing.

First, you need a recording interface. I recommend the Presonus Firepod, or Firestudio Project. Used they are around $300, new they're closer to $500. This is a good quality 8 channel Firewire interface with 8 mic preamps, 8 line outs, 8 line ins, and two instrument ins. It also has a good headphone amp.

For software, I recommend Reaper. It's basically free, but they encourage you to pay them $40. I plan on it once I get some spare money. It is very nice software with some good effects ( The compression and EQ are good, the reverb/chorus/delay/etc. aren't ). reaper.fm

For effects, I recommend Kjaerhus Audio. They have a line of Classic effects free to download which are VERY GOOD. http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/home.php

For guitar recording, I recommend an Audix i5. I normally would recommend the Shure SM57, but it is basically impossible to buy them used since a lot of them are counterfeits. The Audix i5 runs around $50-60 used. You might want to get two for more advanced guitar micing.

For bass, you can record direct and get a good sound, OR you can mic a cabinet. I recommend the Audix D6 mic for micing bass cabinet, I got mine for a little over $100 used.

For drums, well this is where it gets complicated. You want two good overhead mics ( Small Diaphragm Condensors work really well for this ). Audiopile has a pair of SDCs for $130 ( audiopile.net ), and they are pretty good. If you can swing the extra money for the whole drum mic set, do it. The mics aren't good, and you'll want to replace them as soon as you can, but the drum clips are very helpful.

You can use the Audix i5 on the snare, and the Audix D6 on kick drum. With the 4 mics set up right, in a good room, with a good drummer, and a well tuned kit, you'll get a good sound. You won't get really nice definition on each tom hit, but you'll hear them fine.

If you want to invest in tom mics, then I recommend Audix D2 for rack toms and Audix D4 for floor toms. They go for $60-70 used.

For vocals, a lot of people like to use large diaphragm condensor mics. Good ones are pretty pricey, so I just use a Shure SM57, which sounds good to me.

All of this gear is worthless if you can't hear what you're doing, so you need monitors. You can get a pair of KRK Rockit 5 active monitors for $200 new, but they aren't that great. I recommend stepping up and trying to get the Rockit 8 or 6 at least. You could easily spend your entire budget on a good set of monitors ( which I just did... and its worth it! ).

You need a pair of tracking headphones. Sennheiser HD280, while it doesn't sound great, is perfect for tracking. $50-60 used.

You need at least two mic stands, and at least 4 20' mic cables. If you buy from audiopile.net ( which I HIGHLY recommend ), the cables will be $50. The stands are $100 if you buy good stands ( which will last you for a long time, hold position well, are easy to adjust, sturdy, well balanced, etc. ), or $50 if you buy cheap stands ( which will break in 6-12 months, won't hold position, difficult to adjust... ). You'll also want a low profile stand for the bass drum. This is another $30.

Let's see, where are we at...
1) Interface - $300
2) Software - FREE!
3) Guitar Mic - $50/100
4) Bass Mic - $125
5) Drum Mics - $130/$250
6) Monitors - $200 new ( less used, if you can find them )
7) Headphones - $60
8) stands and cables - $180

Total: $1050 if you only get one guitar mic and you don't get any tom mics. This will give you all you need to get recording, with high quality mics and parts that you can continue to use even when you upgrade stuff. The only "throw-aways" on that list are the monitors.

Realistically, you can buy the interface, monitors, headphones, and guitar mics now, and get "demo" quality for everything. But saving up and buying the additional stuff is necessary if you want pro quality sound.

You can still do "decent" stuff with nothing, I mean, I won't get professional sounds with nothing, but you can do still a lot. And with nothing I mean "nothing", totaly.

I would suggest to do as I do, then save your money and buy real good stuff, instead of just buying "ok" suff. While saving you can learn the programs and the different tip of the job.

I actually play music for like 5 years now, I'm into recording since 2 years.

I'm using Accoustica Mixcraft as the interface, that got to be the easiest and cheapiest program.
I'm using the soundcard that came with my PC, I'm connecting in the Mic plug XD
I didn't bought any stuff except a 4 track mixer for the mic and keyboard (live) that I'm using for the different EQ while reccording but that's it...

I don't do professional stuff, I'm doing that only for fun, but to be honest I'm actually proud of what I'm doing and what I can accomplish with nothing. But, yeah, t's a lot more of job than working with professional stuff.

You can hear what it sounds like here www.myspace.com/psychords - In my opinion, it's ok for my level and for the money that I don't have, tho, yeah someday I'll go with better stuff.

I strongly recommend asking around because everyone is 2 degrees away from someone with recording equipment. You might be able to borrow some and save some money.

BOSS DR-550 - $50 on ebay
Hand-me-down PA system - free
Shure SM58 - free (stole from ex gf)
Buncha cables - bout $40
Shitty hand-me-down computer - free
Line 6 Spider III - $300
LTD MH300 guitar - $400

That's all I use to record. This is what I get: www.myspace.com/inhaletheocean

I'm still not satisfied with the vocals, there's gotta be some way to make em sound better... but it's a rough draft.

I'm bying a Line6 Toneport UX2 soon. Price: $200 +/-
You can connect your guitar with a jack plug OR you can use a mic (Shure SM-57, eg).
You get Pro Tools and Gearbox software.
I think that for home-recording it's kind of waste of money spending 1000bux..
The UX-2 can handle two guitars or 2 microphones at same time and it has all the plug-ins that you would need.
ASIO drivers have low latency, keep that in mind.

If you connect your guitar directly to Toneport UX-2, you can get pretty good quality recording without using any guitaramps or disturbing anyone at home. OR you can mic your cab, if you wish so.
Ive heard people get really good quality takes with the Toneport.
Or go for another audiocard. I still think it's useless to spend much money if you want good (not best) home-studio.
But that's my opinion man. I don't know what exactly fits you.

Guitar Pro is not the same as recording music. Completely different things.

I'm bying a Line6 Toneport UX2 soon. Price: $200 +/-
You can connect your guitar with a jack plug OR you can use a mic (Shure SM-57, eg).
You get Pro Tools and Gearbox software.
I think that for home-recording it's kind of waste of money spending 1000bux..
The UX-2 can handle two guitars or 2 microphones at same time and it has all the plug-ins that you would need.
ASIO drivers have low latency, keep that in mind.

If you connect your guitar directly to Toneport UX-2, you can get pretty good quality recording without using any guitaramps or disturbing anyone at home. OR you can mic your cab, if you wish so.
Ive heard people get really good quality takes with the Toneport.
Or go for another audiocard. I still think it's useless to spend much money if you want good (not best) home-studio.
But that's my opinion man. I don't know what exactly fits you.

Guitar Pro is not the same as recording music. Completely different things.

Can you record convincing metal drums with two mic inputs? No. You can't.

You guys don't seem to realize that he wants to record live drums. If you want decent quality for guitar/vocals/bass/keys, etc. it doesn't cost much, and all you need is a Toneport or a quality mic and interface to get great tone, for easily under $400.

When you record drums, you've got to consider that you're not recording one instrument or one sound source like guitar. A very basic drum set has four drums and three cymbals. A standard kit used in metal will have three or more toms, a bass drum, a snare drum, two crash cymbals, a ride, several splashes, a china, etc...

To get a GOOD semi-pro sound you need a mic for each drum, maybe two for snare and bass, and then two overheads to get room sound, reverb, cymbals, etc... Not to mention triggers, for advanced gating and sampling.

And that is precisely the reason why I program drums, because I don't want to make that kind of investment.

My set up.

Mackie_Mixer.jpg

apple-powermac-g4.jpg

sx-main.gif

^^^
Screen shot of Cubase Sx

fw-1804-store.jpg

^^

My soundcard

90281.jpg

^^^

My studio reference monitors.

The most important part in recording digital is Pre's, Monitors and your audio interface...

A good condenser mic can get drums with just a couple of mics, we used to do it in music tech. I think it sounds perfect, certainly kick-ass enough for a kvlt metal band.

I use a $100 4-track cassette recorder with LPRecorder and DirectCut to get it onto the internet. It kicks uber-ass but it might not satisfy your needs. How professional do you want to be? Here are some samples of the sounds I can get out of my set-up: One, Two,, Three. (judge by the sound, not based on whether the material is any good, haha... I also don't use even a condenser for the drums, fyi)