Home recording

MegaPwn

T0TEL N00B20R
Jan 21, 2010
So I started this one-man industrial metal project, but I know hardly anything about home recording and need some help. If anyone could answer any of these questions I'd be grateful.

-Do I need an external mic? (My built in one's right next to the damn fan :()

-What's a good recording program to use? (Free one! And audacity crashes constantly on my computer for some reason).

-Are there any good (and free!) synthesizer programs out there?

TIA:kickass:

Audacity isn't really a recording program. If you're doing industrial you'll want to use a sequencer like Cubase so you can use MIDI. But that isn't free. The Halion synths on Cubase are cool. But what I would suggest is downloading the software Reason. Reason has a MIDI sequencer but its like trying to write in the dark ages. But you can rewire it through Cubase and use it like a normal VST. There is a synth on there called the mastrom. Bloody ace thing.

Also another VST i would strongly suggest getting is the synplant. Search that stuff up on youtube. Its very experimental. But if you needed too you can open a menue to alter all the perameters the old fashioned way... but that isnt as fun.

As for recording. Id suggest maybed going from a guitar pedal straight into your computers line-in jack.

Not to sound like an asshole, but if you know fuck all about home recording then you shouldn't be doing this. Brush up on the ins and outs of home recording, THEN do this industrial thing

Audacity isn't really a recording program. If you're doing industrial you'll want to use a sequencer like Cubase so you can use MIDI. But that isn't free. The Halion synths on Cubase are cool. But what I would suggest is downloading the software Reason. Reason has a MIDI sequencer but its like trying to write in the dark ages. But you can rewire it through Cubase and use it like a normal VST. There is a synth on there called the mastrom. Bloody ace thing.

Also another VST i would strongly suggest getting is the synplant. Search that stuff up on youtube. Its very experimental. But if you needed too you can open a menue to alter all the perameters the old fashioned way... but that isnt as fun.

As for recording. Id suggest maybed going from a guitar pedal straight into your computers line-in jack.

I'll have to get a new pedal but that's fine. Thanks for that. I'll tell you how this all works out in a little while.