Recording Help

Narg n Lamb

Jan 12, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I have Audacity and FL Studio. The only problem is...I don't have any experience with recording and right I only have just a regular mic to plug into my sound card.

If anyone else uses FL Studio, I need to know how to record my guitar directly into the program with my microphone.

Use Adobe Audition. It's like Audacity, but better. Why are you trying to put it into FL studio?

Not that familiar with FL, you can probably record audio but it is primarily for MIDI. I have Audacity installed at home but I don't use it to record, just for editing. Give us a little more detail about your setup (comp, soundcard, and if you are micing an amp or trying to plug in direct) and I might be able to help out.

I have a very basic set up. Sound Blaster Audigy 1 sound card(no worries for the computer, it's more then powerful enough process my recording needs) with a basic computer microphone that plugs into the microphone port of my Audigy sound card. As of now I've been recording directly from my Line 6 amp to the microphone port. Basically for some reason I can't figure out how to record directly into FL Studio itself because my drum tracks are already sitting in FL Studio but I'm guessing nissan is hinting me to take the drum tracks from FL Studio and put it into Audacity.

ok, I just took a look at Audacity. It has a feature to import MIDI but I don't see any indication that it supports VSTs or other plugins...so you could render your MIDI to audio in FL and import the .wav files...

...but, a quick Google found this page which explains how to record audio in FL:

http://www.fruityloops.com/help/html/automation.htm

That page will probably make more sense to you than it does me, because I have only tried the demo of FL once many moons ago. One thing that did jump out at me though was the mention that FL only supports ASIO drivers. If you SB Audigy only uses WDM or MML (? I might be mixing that one up with work acronyms) do a search for ASIO4ALL. It's a free driver that will translate between WMD and ASIO.

I have a very basic set up. Sound Blaster Audigy 1 sound card(no worries for the computer, it's more then powerful enough process my recording needs) with a basic computer microphone that plugs into the microphone port of my Audigy sound card. As of now I've been recording directly from my Line 6 amp to the microphone port. Basically for some reason I can't figure out how to record directly into FL Studio itself because my drum tracks are already sitting in FL Studio but I'm guessing nissan is hinting me to take the drum tracks from FL Studio and put it into Audacity.

Oh okay, so you've made the drums already. Okay, so get audacity, or adobe audition. Play the drum track in your headphones or something, and play/record the guitar onto audacity/audition. Then the drums and guitar should go in time together. Then you can either:

1. export the drums and load them into audacity/audition
2. export the guitar, and use it as a sample in FL studio.

g'luck

yea ive been doing that, i guess I just suck at writing drum tracks...damn..If only I had a drum set, i would practice every damn day until I was blast beating like none other..

What do you mean you suck at drum tracking? The two (drums/guitars) aren't going in time?

Just make the drums first, then listen to the drums as you record the guitar - it'll be kinda like a metronome for ya.