V-Amp Recording

Moonshield

Revenant
Nov 17, 2001
UK
Does anyone here use a Behringer V-Amp for home recording? I recently got a Bass V-Amp (since I want to use it for guitar and bass). Previously I'd been recording by simply connecting the output of my Boss Metal Zone into the microphone input of my sound card. Crude, I know, but it gave me a decent sound, and I was reasonably happy with it. But I expected better things from the V-amp given that it is actually designed for recording with.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with the settings for the last couple of weeks, and I just can't seem to get a decent sound. Things sound okay through headphones connected to the V-amp itself, but when I plug it into my PC, record and play it back, it sounds as if I'm recording through an amplifier with the microphone in a different room. The bottom line is, I'm getting a much better sound from the Metal Zone.

Obviously, the easiest answer is "well, just stick with the Metal Zone". But like I've said - the V-amp is designed for recording, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, because I should be getting a better sound.

Has anyone had any similar problems? If you've used it successfully to record your own stuff, what combinations of amp/cabs/effect have you found to give the best sound?

Thanks for any help anyone can give! :worship:

1st:
Check the settings on your V-Amp. Make sure the reverb is not all the way on or too high.
2nd:
Make sure you don't have the reverb set up so high that it sounds disconnected from what you're recording. You said that it's when you play the material back that you notice the sonic discrepancy - check the software that you're using to record.
As for my preference of recording settings, I like using a multitrack recording of Brit. Hi Gain (cabinet setting 12, 13 or 15) and Modern Hi Gain (cabinet setting 12, 13 or 15) panned hard left and right with Savage Beast centered. It's very rare that I'll use the effects because I like my sounds recorded dry - any effects I add later.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm sure it's not my recording software because if it was then I'd have similar problems with my Metal Zone. I'll get everything set up later and give your ideas a go!

When i got a v-amp i noticed this a bit. For me it was just because i was so used to the sound of a normal pedal that when i heard something that sounded more like a mic'd amp it sounded weird. Just a subjective perception thing.

Hey dude,
I have the V-Amp pro. I am able to get quite usable sounds out of it. (Although I can't stand modeling in general, I use it for scratch tracks). But that aside, it doesn't soud too bad. You just need to tweak some settings some more. Start with no effects or reverb, and moderately placed tone controls. Go into the editing section and start flipping through different cabinet settings. You'll find something you like.

Hey all. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been messing around a bit more and I've got a tone which sounds pretty good. My only real complaint is that it still sounds as if the "microphone" is a bit further away from the "amp" than I'd like, but it does sound pretty good. And I'm looking for a black metal sound anyway, so if the quality was perfect, it would be bad! :)

I got the V-Amp 2 Pod version as I am just starting to learn guitar. I can plug into my M-Audio OMNI Studio via 1/4" if I want to record anything. But I also picked up a 15w Peavey so I don't have to turn on the PC everytime I want to noodle/mess around on it. And after that I got a Fender Acoustic kit...so no need to plug into the PC till I want to record something. The Omni Studio isn't bad. If you want multiple inputs (more than 2/4) I'd look at the Motu 828 but that's like $800! I am not near good enough to need that many inputs.... ;-)

Mike