Honorable Mention......

Deliverance6 said:
I figure it would be cool to have a thread about new band discoveries.....old or new......just to kind of let each other know about bands others may have never known of.....

my band recently has been Kaizers Orchestra.....apparently they are quite popular in norway and such......but a friend of mine just turned me on to them last week....

wow cool they come from the place where I live :D and they often play consert here.. and one of the members is married to my norwegian teacher ;p hehe

VNV Nation. Incredible, meaningful music. Although aesthetically, their songs are quite different than Katatonia's, I think that many of you could truly come to love it.

I highly recommend the album Futureperfect in particular. Also, the words of theirs that I've read in interviews have been quite insightful and interesting, both in general, in regards to life, and in regards to the symbols and meanings behind their music.

Enjoy.

LifeDepraved said:
VNV Nation is great. Hard to find some of their cds though....they go high up on that there ebay.
Indeed. It seems it's really just Standing/Burning Empires and Advance and Follow that are difficult to acquire. In fact, I still don't have them myself. Everything else seems easy enough to get a hold of, though.

I found Frantic Bleep last week and they are awesome! A great mixture of different musical stuff with something of their own. Something like avantgarde with a faint hint of thrash and death metal. They are from Norway of course, where else could a band as good as this come from (Except Sweden)?

Yeah well apparently Madder Mortem's singer Agnete M. Kirkevaag has been a session vocalist for Frantic Bleep and MM:s ex-bass player also played in FP :) You're right, they do sound much like Madder Mortem. I can feel some Ihsahn and Arcturus vibes in their music too.

Arena and Änglagård. Not new bands, but amazing!
I just bought the Arena DVD "Smoke & Mirrors" and I'm deeply impressed. The most enthralling two hours I spend in my life ;)
For those who don't know Arena is an Art-rock/progrock/AOR-band from England.
Änglagård are progrock, too, but have mostly instrumental songs. Really musical stuff

Hypnos said:
Änglagård is a fine band. be sure to check also Anekdoten and Landberk, quite similar.

It's funny, a lot of people name Änglagård and Anektoden in the same breath, but I think they aren't really comparable.
I have a few Anekdoten albums but I don't think they are that good.
But Landberk is really great, more pop but with great melodies.

Divatkreació said:
I found Frantic Bleep last week and they are awesome! A great mixture of different musical stuff with something of their own. Something like avantgarde with a faint hint of thrash and death metal. They are from Norway of course, where else could a band as good as this come from (Except Sweden)?
I went to high school with the guitarist/composer/founder of Frantic Bleep. Same thing with four of the members of Madder Mortem. Just wanna see if that gives me any cred at all.:lol:

daimonion said:
I went to high school with the guitarist/composer/founder of Frantic Bleep. Same thing with four of the members of Madder Mortem. Just wanna see if that gives me any cred at all.:lol:
then tell the fuckers they should get their lazy asses over here to southern Germany, ffs!!!

Hypnos said:
then tell the fuckers they should get their lazy asses over here to southern Germany, ffs!!!
I'm sure they want to. Not so much up to them as up to record company though..