Hooking up more then 1 set of monitors to an interface?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
Say if i wanted to hook up a pair of 8's and a pair of 4 or 5's to the same interface. Would i just hook the 8's in the 1 and 2 1/4 output and then the other set to the 3 and 4 output? Would this make all the mix come through every speaker?

If not how could i go about adding additional monitors?

Well the only issue there would be if your interface has a dedicated monitor level control on it, it's probably only assigned to outputs 1 + 2, so you wouldn't be able to have a master volume for stuff plugged into any other output (though some interfaces have a control panel that lets you assign any combination of outputs to the output knob, I know the Profire 2626 is like this). Or, you can just get a switcher! (cheap or not-so-cheap)

yeah, run monitors out of output 3-4, then change your 2 buss outputs to output 3-4. the profire allows you to assign the volume knob to all outputs, or individual pairs. that was another feature i liked about the profire!

That sounds pretty nifty, but to make the whole process a bit more intuitive/easy I would just get an analogue switcher/volume controller. The SM-Pro Audio M-patch 2 does the job quite well, on a budget. The volume attenuation this way happens in analogue, rather than diminishing your bitrate in digital. This way you can keep both sets on at all times, and switch between them with the press of 2 buttons. Yes, I know, I'd prefer one button as well, but for some reason they thought it important to allow the user to run 4 monitors at once.