How about a few stoner bands?

Black Lagoon

Apr 24, 2001
Cornwall, England
Visit site
Personally I'd love to see a few bands like Spiritual Beggars, Orange Goblin, Nebula, Marshan, Roadsaw, Grand Magnus etc on the bill.
Basically its just quality old school metal without the cheese!

I'd be happier if there wasn't any stoner band on (If they get one it won't be too bad though cause I'll just browse the metal market).

This year's bloodstock was hugely more successful then '01' because of the inclusion of more Euro-Power Metal bands (Guardian, Rays & Freedom Call). To call back Orange Goblin IMO would be a backward step.

Originally posted by Eagle
This year's bloodstock was hugely more successful then '01' because of the inclusion of more Euro-Power Metal bands (Guardian, Rays & Freedom Call).
Hmmm. Dunno about that. Yes, this year was good, but then again, '01 had an out of this world performance from Primal Fear, that for me rates as one of the best sets I've seen of all time (and I've seen a few). Whatever, like you, I'd love to see a power metal bias, but even I appreciate that there has to be variety of genres in order to attract a big enough crowd for Bloodstock to be profitable. While I personally wouldn't be impressed with a stoner band, I don't object to there being one or two on the bill. So long as we get Borknagar, Lost Horizon, Rage, Angel Dust, Hammerfall and Annihilator, who cares what the other bands are :) Well, we can all dream...

and.......oh you judge how good bands are by how many people watch them?

Not at all, but could you honestly see over 2000 stoner fans filling the assembly rooms?

I think not!

If Bloodstock ever became like a 'Stonerfest' there would be more staff there then fans. On a positive note you'd have no problems getting to the front!

In reality probably the best formula is something like:

5 Power Metal
1 Prog
3 Death
4 Traditional
1 doom
1 goth
2 Thrash
1 ???

I must admit Primal Fear did get a good reaction that day and were good, but it was a bit like watching a Judas Priest tribute band. Much prefered the real raw power of the Goblin.

I am not asking for a line up of one style (Last thing I want), but one or two class acts like Spiritual Beggars or Grand Magnus would be something I'd like to see instead of all cheese metal bands.

One question for you though Eagle. What the fuck is the difference between Power Metal, True Metal, etc etc????

Originally posted by Eagle

In reality probably the best formula is something like:

5 Power Metal
1 Prog
3 Death
4 Traditional
1 doom
1 goth
2 Thrash
1 ???

Power Metal:
Lost Horizon
Stratovarius
Helloween
Twisted Tower Dire
Hammerfall

Prog:
Whatever - not into that stuff

Death:
Arch Enemy
Dark Tranquillity
Children of Bodom

Trad:
Stormwarrior
Saxon
Savatage
Danzig

Doom:
My Dying Bride

Goth:
Again I don't really care (just not Cradle of Filth!!)

Thrash:
Kreator
The Haunted

Other:
Therion

Anyone fancy going to a festival with that lineup??