How about some more power metal like Ark?

Aug 31, 2004
I'm quite picky with the relatively small amount of power metal I listen to, but I bought 'Burn The Sun' by Ark recently and completely love it. I've absorbed the whole album, and if they were headlining Prog-Power this year, I'd be set.

Anyway, I was thinking I would write the main things that I like about Ark, and maybe I could get some recommendations. ^_^

*Great vocals. I don't often like the "rocky" type style that Jorn has, or also known as the...."chainsmoker" singer sound, but I really love Jorn's vocals here. Besides the prerequisite technical ability, he has a distinct sound.

*Interesting music. To elaborate, it's nice. It rocks, definitely, has the crunch, but there are major jazz influences in the music. A lot of time went into the writing, and it's original sounding and quite nice, while still rocking. I think this guitarist definitely has some jazz skills (I realize it's Conception's guitarist, I'm still absorbing 'Parallel Minds'). The other musicians also have the skills to make the music interesting, but it doesn't turn into a three minute solo-fest in every song.

*Great melodies. I think this has to do with the jazz influnces. Sometimes with power metal bands that just use like a few power chords for the verse, I think the vocals melodies sometimes sound rather uninspired, just because they have so much freedom with the melody and don't do much with it. Here the vocal melodies are all memorable and original.

*No "faux neo-classical" cliches.

*Great production

So....any recommendations? Thanks. :D

that's a tough one... the only bands I can think of would be Mundanus Imperium (a Jorn Lande project, pre-Ark) and New Eden (an American band, similar to Destiny's End, but more proggy/complex).

Agree with all your comments except one. Ark is an excellent progressive metal band. Nothing to do with power whatsoever.

Oh, it's also the best thing Jorn Lande has ever done. Only his vocal performance on the first Beyond Twilight may come close to the brilliance of Ark.

I must admit, I didn't know anything about them when they played ProgPower, now I'm wishing I knew their stuff. I'm a Lande fan and I'm really starting to like Ark.

Definitely progressive...anytime "jazz" elements are thrown in a mix...changing timing sigs, polyrhythms, etc....you've entered prog territory.
Thought the dude that started this thread was a major PoS fan...and he can't recognize prog when he hears it? WTF?
All your former posts are hearby disregarded as worthless....j/k lol.

Ascension said:
All your former posts are hearby disregarded as worthless....j/k lol.

LOL. I usually like Barking's posts, but this is was funny. Oh well, I guess everyone's allowed a foot on the mouth faux pas once in a while.

haha great thread.

Ark is pretty cool, any band that has Jorn usually automatically has 20% more of a chance of going somewhere.

Speaking of Jorn, that latest Masterplan album is freaking awesome.

The only people I've seen calling ARK power metal bands are the real real real snobby progheads, who think ARK isn't prog... Barking, I know that's not your case...

For every matter, Ark is not a power metal band.

Well.....let me explain myself a bit. :D

You could consider Ark progressive, they definitely have the jazzy elements and things. I'm not the biggest fan of the "prog," things that think adding weird rhythms, time signatures, and fast solos makes something progressive, that's more of a musical style than actually being progressive, because most of the progressive bands I listen to have a classical or avant-garde soundbase. So.....Ark's sound is not something I usually associate with progressive. They seem to me to have a really strong rock/pop foundation. They are really unique and have big jazz elements, but they also have major rock riffs and structures, so to describe the music I would say more like Power-Fusion or something than progressive, because of the rock base.

But really....you guys don't see any power metal elements at ALL in Ark? Things like Torn and Absolute Zero are more progressive, but like the title track, even with the jazz stuff, that's a rocking song.

Progressive Metal is different things for different people, and Ark isn't really the sound I associate with progressive metal, although it's definitely progressive music. Like....progressive in music but power in spirit and feel, if that even makes sense. Arg...now I'm confusing myself. :lol:

So....maybe either progressive metal that rocks or power metal that jazzes it up recommendations? I kind of shy away from asking for progressive metal recommendations, because some of the Prog-Power "prog" isn't really my favorite cup of tea, if you know what I mean. So basically I'm not looking for things from the Dream Theater school of prog.

AngraRULES said:
I wish I never missed PP2, with ARK playing =\

Glenn, can you get an ARK reunion?

Ark @ PP was amazing. If Glenn could get them back together,
I hope he remembers to get some REAL heavy duty drum heads......