How Americans can type "ö"

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
... the first option is to get a European keyboard. They are fabulous little things, they have all the keys that US keyboards do, and they allow things like ö, ä, å, £, and € to be typed. Awesome. The only downside is that the enter key and the left shift key are awkwardly shaped and it'll take about two hours to get used it it. Also, all the little punctuation keys like colons and asterisks are in different places. Well, I call it a European keyboard but they don't have the keys for weird French characters, nothing from those weird Hungarians, and forget about Russian. And you still have to do some wizardry to type Motley Crüe and Queensrÿche properly. I vote there needs to be a special "umlaut shift key" that puts umlauts on top of any other letter pressed at the same time. This keyboard I have does have a freestanding ¨ but I have no idea what that's good for because it doesn't combine with any other letters.

Another option for typing ö is to type 1 4 8 on the keypad while holding the alt key down. There are different combinations to get different letters, but that's how you get the ö.

The third option is to open Word, go to the Insert option on the top bar, then Symbol. Put all of your commonly used weird not-English symbols into a scratch document. When talking to or about crazy foreigners with their hip weird alphabets, you can then copy and paste the particular characters into your typing. I used this method for typing Motley Crüe and Queensrÿche.

For extra credit, watch the Nightingale DVD and tell me why Dan says his last name incorrectly and Dag says it right.

For more extra credit, explain to me why Cypresians (thank god they didn't play Crete or I'd have called them Cretins) mosh to Nightingale.

(this public service announcement brought to you by Jim and the Still Amazed And Fucking Confused in Finland foundation)

Jim LotFP said:
... the first option is to get a European keyboard. They are fabulous little things, they have all the keys that US keyboards do, and they allow things like ö, ä, å, £, and € to be typed. Awesome. The only downside is that the enter key and the left shift key are awkwardly shaped and it'll take about two hours to get used it it. Also, all the little punctuation keys like colons and asterisks are in different places. Well, I call it a European keyboard but they don't have the keys for weird French characters, nothing from those weird Hungarians, and forget about Russian. And you still have to do some wizardry to type Motley Crüe and Queensrÿche properly. I vote there needs to be a special "umlaut shift key" that puts umlauts on top of any other letter pressed at the same time. This keyboard I have does have a freestanding ¨ but I have no idea what that's good for because it doesn't combine with any other letters.

Another option for typing ö is to type 1 4 8 on the keypad while holding the alt key down. There are different combinations to get different letters, but that's how you get the ö.

The third option is to open Word, go to the Insert option on the top bar, then Symbol. Put all of your commonly used weird not-English symbols into a scratch document. When talking to or about crazy foreigners with their hip weird alphabets, you can then copy and paste the particular characters into your typing. I used this method for typing Motley Crüe and Queensrÿche.

For extra credit, watch the Nightingale DVD and tell me why Dan says his last name incorrectly and Dag says it right.

For more extra credit, explain to me why Cypresians (thank god they didn't play Crete or I'd have called them Cretins) mosh to Nightingale.

(this public service announcement brought to you by Jim and the Still Amazed And Fucking Confused in Finland foundation)

Americans can just use a regular "o". We're Americans, dammit. Being the world's only superpower has to count for something. We spell things however we want! *sips on a margarita with a little American flag in it*

I think the correct way to write "ö" without the scandinavian letters is using "oe" but that's just silly...

you can use the windows character map... scroll dow until you find it... or then press ¨ before you press "o"

any help?

(this public service announcement brought to you by Jim and the Still Amazed And Fucking Confused in Finland foundation)[/quote]

So you live in the artic parts of the world nowdays !
..and in a partly Swedish spoken part too
Russia, icebears, Norweigan black-metal-child eaters !
You don´t know what you have got yourself into:D
Welcome ! :wave:

Glad you have time to think about serious matters:headbang:
If you take the ferry to our green country i hope you drop by

Well, for me, living in Australia, for ö I hold ALT and press 0 2 4 6.

Oh, I just tried the 1 4 8 option, and apparently that works, also.

By the way Jim, Mötley Crüe also use a ö. :)

Ironically, I spent an hour last night figuring out all these symbols (the Å, ö, etc) and wrote them all on a piece of paper for when I'd need them.

Even more ironically, NONE of them work in this forum. Every time I try, they all make the browser do very odd things (like go back, forward, click random links, etc).

And when they DO work (on other forums) the characters go in my google toolbar.

mylovedenied said:
Ironically, I spent an hour last night figuring out all these symbols (the Å, ö, etc) and wrote them all on a piece of paper for when I'd need them.

Even more ironically, NONE of them work in this forum. Every time I try, they all make the browser do very odd things (like go back, forward, click random links, etc).

And when they DO work (on other forums) the characters go in my google toolbar.
Did you make sure that numlock was on first?

Yes, num lock was on, holding alt the whole time.

When I do it in advanced mode, I get the character in the google toolbar, but my browser still does random stuff. And this happens nowhere else!

ä - ALT + 0228 . ö - 0246 . å - 0229 . ø - 0248 . æ - 0230 . icelandic? ó - 0243 . ð - 0240 . þ - 0254 .... blah blah... just open up character map and it displays the key board shortcuts for each symbol down the bottom when you select it.

GO to control panel > keyboard then change the language input method. I put mine to Norwegian (Bokmal). I can switch between English and Norwegian by pressing alt + shift. Norwegian characters are ø æ and å.
They don't have any umlaut characters though.