How big of a difference did an SSD make for you?

I installed the 128G SSD in my newer machine and it's TONS faster than any of my other computers. I don't think I could ever go back.

I install my important shit on the SSD and my session folders are all stored on my HDD just for space-saving purposes since my SSD is about full already.

I do have some type of issue though with Reaper and running about 20 tracks and between 2-4 amp sim chains.....shit starts to pop/crackle and I still can't find the reason for this. I should be able to run 64 sample buffer with no problems and sometimes I have to run 256 while tracking which is not ideal for me.

Well I'm probably going to be amazed by the difference for me then. My current drive is a 5600rpm HDD. it's slower than a turtle with three legs.

At first it'll be like "HOLY SHIIIIII!!!", then after a while, it sorta feels normal. Until you use a HDD then you realize just how badass the SSD is.

ssd <333333333

I got a 64gb one and I regret it. nowhere near enough storage room on that. I recommend 128gb minimum!

Well I got mine! It took me about 6-7 hours to set it up, do a clean install, and get most of my precious files/programs back. About 2 hours of that whole fiasco was because Windows 8 didnt like me downgrading to windows 7. But anyways, I am blown away at how fast it boots up and launches programs! I feel like some sort of god when I hit "restart" and my computer is booted back up and ready to go in about 40 seconds. It's also pretty great to double click the reaper icon, and BAM! there it is. This drive was definitely worth the time and money. I'm also happy to finally have a clean install and to be back on windows 7. Now i should be able to access every bit of performance this machine has to offer.

Yeah, its awesome! I've used SSD for the past 3+ years so i don't really remember how slow it was before.

My computer definitely runs faster with the SSD, but I suspect its more the other hardware in it that affects this, than the SSD. For example: I thought boot up and load times were blazing fast upgrading from my old computer, but then I built my girlfriend a computer spec'd pretty similar, and skipped the SSD, and hers boots up maybe 5 seconds slower and the programs load maybe a tad slower, but nothing that would make a huge difference. At that point, I was pretty disappointed I'd spent $200 on an SSD for barely any performance increase. In the DAW, I never had issues loading plugins quickly before, so there's no noticeable difference to me. The computer certainly benchmarks faster with the SSD, but there's not a huge real world difference IMO.

My computer definitely runs faster with the SSD, but I suspect its more the other hardware in it that affects this, than the SSD. For example: I thought boot up and load times were blazing fast upgrading from my old computer, but then I built my girlfriend a computer spec'd pretty similar, and skipped the SSD, and hers boots up maybe 5 seconds slower and the programs load maybe a tad slower, but nothing that would make a huge difference. At that point, I was pretty disappointed I'd spent $200 on an SSD for barely any performance increase. In the DAW, I never had issues loading plugins quickly before, so there's no noticeable difference to me. The computer certainly benchmarks faster with the SSD, but there's not a huge real world difference IMO.

If you are comparing the ssd with a regular disk that just had it's OS installed then the difference might not be that big. If that's the case, wait until your gf starts storing a lot of files and installing programs to see how starts to choke.

OP, 40 seconds to boot Windows is a lot. Maybe your BIOS screen takes a lot of time? My comp is ready to use in about 20 seconds since I press the power button, and my BIOS screen takes more time than others.

If you are comparing the ssd with a regular disk that just had it's OS installed then the difference might not be that big. If that's the case, wait until your gf starts storing a lot of files and installing programs to see how starts to choke.

OP, 40 seconds to boot Windows is a lot. Maybe your BIOS screen takes a lot of time? My comp is ready to use in about 20 seconds since I press the power button, and my BIOS screen takes more time than others.

Hers has about 80GB on the old 360GB drive I put in it and still loads just as fast. She doesn't use tons of programs or need lots of storage, I have an external drive setup for her to save files to, the HDD is just the OS, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS3 and games she plays with me every once and a while. I don't expect it to slow down anytime soon. Hers actually booted up faster on a fairly clean install than mine did on one. Now mines a tad quicker, but nothing worth wasting the money on an SSD for.

Hers has about 80GB on the old 360GB drive I put in it and still loads just as fast. She doesn't use tons of programs or need lots of storage, I have an external drive setup for her to save files to, the HDD is just the OS, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS3 and games she plays with me every once and a while. I don't expect it to slow down anytime soon. Hers actually booted up faster on a fairly clean install than mine did on one. Now mines a tad quicker, but nothing worth wasting the money on an SSD for.

That's weird, there must be something wrong. What's your motherboard and SSD? Do you have your system installed on it?

I'm not sure if it's actually 40 seconds. It could quite possible be less. I havent actually counted. I just know that I hit restart and dont have time to do anything other than scratch my ass before it's ready to go again :loco:

That's weird, there must be something wrong. What's your motherboard and SSD? Do you have your system installed on it?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i7 3770K, OC'd to 4.8GHz
32GB G.Skill Ripjaw X
MSI nVidia GTX 660Ti
120GB Samsung 840 Pro
1TB Seagate Barracuda

Just bought an Intel 240gb SSD last week. After installing everything again, I feel like a GOD! Love the startup times for the computer and programs now, never ever going back... the problem is that now I'm just tempted to steal a 1tb SSD because there's no way I could afford one

Anyone else getting links in the above posts?

For example, botus99's post there has 2 links in it, both say something about "Skimwords" when I hover my mouse over it. Checked Chrome's extensions, I have nothing in there enabled. Am I the only one?!

EDIT: And now that I logged in and posted this, they're gone......

For example, botus99's post there has 2 links in it, both say something about "Skimwords" when I hover my mouse over it. Checked Chrome's extensions, I have nothing in there enabled. Am I the only one?!

Last edited by a moderator:

I get those whenever I go on the seven string forums, I dunno whats up with them. Never seen them here though.