How do you do multichannel drums w/ Superior Drummer 2.0 and SSD?(REAPER users pref.)

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hey fellas,
So, I've used the search and did a dedicated google search just for this site, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer. If there is a link to another thread you'd like to point me to for an answer I'd be content with that. :)

Ok, so I hear a lot of you are combining programs like SD2.0 with Steven Slate Drums and other custom samples and wondering how you do it. I know how to route and do multi-channel outputs with SD 2.0, but how do you setup your multi-channels to use a combination of those programs AND custom samples?

Are there any REAPER users reading this that would be willing to share either a track or project template with me that I could use? I know it would be specific to your project, but I'd like to at least see how you did it and tweak it for what I need obviously.

For example, say I wanted to have everything multi-channel, but I wanted to use the cymbals and overheads from SD2.0, use a SSD kick and snare (a few blended together), and some LSD or other misc. snare/kick samples blended with SSD... how do you go about doing it? Do you have a ton of buss sends or what?

And then throw in the fact that SD2.0 labels all the multichannels as like "1/2" when I want it to just go to track 1, gets pretty confusing for me. And then, on top of that, all the other bus sends for eq, compression, reverb, limiting, etc. all make it even more confusing using multiple programs for what I want.

(By the way, I just purchased SSD the other day and newer versions no longer contain raw .wav files, so I have to use the SSD vst.)

I'm using Reaper, APTrigga, SSD, and SD 2.0 specifically ...... just for you to keep in mind when explaining this to me.

Please help, I'm lost. lol

Thanks, in advance, if you can and are willing to help! :kickass: And sorry if this is a very noob question. Maybe I'm just over-thinking this.

Load SSD on a track and S2.0 on a separate track. Program your drums on a new track with no VSTi's and make sure you are inserting anything going to SSD on one MIDI channel and anything going to S2.0 on another MIDI channel.

Then create sends to the SSD and S2.0 tracks only sending the appropriate MIDI channel to each one.

Or alternatively send the whole thing to both, programming all on one channel, and just remove/mute all the drum shells from within S2.0 and remove/mute all the cymbals from within SSD.

Load the Superior Drummer. Create your set and then go to the "mixer" (I think) tab.
Route all you need into different channel, let's say all the kick buses to "1/2", top snare to "3/4", bottom snare to "5/6" etc.
When you finish all the routing, in the Track Fx window, right click the Superior Drummer and click the "Build Multichannel Routing.." option.
Now you have all the channels from the Superior ready to mix,as you would do if you would import wav files.
You can rename the channels if you wish for some more accessibility ("3/4" channel as "Snare Top") and you can load your plugins and samples there.
You can do the exact same thing in Slate Drums and then use your samples with aptrigga,as you would do in a normal situation.

If you have any difficulties,feel free to ask.

Or alternatively send the whole thing to both, programming all on one channel, and just remove/mute all the drum shells from within S2.0 and remove/mute all the cymbals from within SSD.
this! by unloading the non needed samples you save cpu power and by only using one midi channel you save editing time on drums