Do you remove SD 2.0 bleeds when using samples?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
Im aware that a lot of us use SD 2.0 w slate/LSD samples. But i have a question on how YOU mix SD 2.0 w your slate/LSD samples.

Once you have your multichannels i.e. Kick, Snare T, Snare B, etc

From what i understand and what i do for example when sampling the snare: select the Snare channel, insert your fav drum replacer plugin. you can then mix it by % that you want.

Heres my question:

Even if you do replace it 100% the original snare from SD 2.0 will still be played through channels where it bleeds i.e. ROOM, OH. It creates a TAIL.

You can manually remove the bleed inside SD 2.0 and now completely have your 100% sample being played (but now you have lost room,oh, ambiance mic for the snare so i usually give it slight large wooden room reverb)

How do you guys do it?

Of course you can completely remove the snare bleed from OH/Room mics and add reverb to your snare sample so that it feels natural, but i get better results by doing this:

Go to the OH and Room bleed control (inside SDrummer), and try to lower kick/snare only by some db down (maybe 4-5 db), to the point you can't tell the difference between your original and replaced samples, when played together.

Cheers

I prefer to leave 100% and mix with SSD room samples as well. In a mix you can't tell the difference between the 2 sets of ambiance and it sounds bigger.

Tried that some times, works pretty well but i could somewhat recognise there were two snares at some parts of the song where mix wasn't very "busy" (drums solo, or slow ballad/clean parts)
Of course that's not a problem if that's the sound you are aiming for, or if you've done a good job mixing the two different sounds together (soloing snare and OH channels and EQing appropriately can really help)

Which leaves me with the question: How about a VST synth like SD that allows you to load your custom samples to the Room/OH mics and merge them as you want. Maybe through impulses or internal reverb of the program. Quess that's tough or it simply can't be done (or there is already a program supporting this feature i've never heard of), but it would be really cool.

Cheers