how cool a crappy nylonstring can sound ;)

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
just working on some recordings of my band, this time it's a ballad.
drums and cello already tracked (that great rocketshells kit, oh how i love it..), bass is just a guidetrack i recorded so far,so it's my turn to record the guitars now.
the song needs clean guitars and the big wall of distortion guitars.
i planned to do everything with the electric, but because i haven'T had the time to bring my amp into the studio (from the rehearsal room) i just thought i might try it with my old nylon-string acoustic, just for fun...

so i detuned it (4 steps down) und set up an M/S pair directly in my livingroom (with windows open,never thought i'd go nylon, so there was no need to enter the real recordingrooms...), plugged the mics into mediocre but ok pre's (rme quadmic) and tracked the clean guitars that way.

(had a hard time, try to play on a 4steps downtuned nylonstring, with strings like rubberbands that are constantly out of tune ;))

voila, actually i think the acoustic guitar fits really good and i'm considering keeping those like they are instead of re-recording with an electric....
what do you think?

here's a snippet (both clean parts together, dist part in the middle deleted, c'ause dist guits are still missing....). i know, kick too loud, snare to distant... it's just a roughmix.

http://lsd-tonstudio.de/sounds/testbounce p.hero no vox, no dist.mp3

The drums seem out of time with the guitars as well dude, and that double bass doesn't fit the interlude at all imo. Check your ID3 tag as well, it's not Metallica :p All in all the acoustic sounds nice man, well done.

cobhc said:
The drums seem out of time with the guitars as well dude, and that double bass doesn't fit the interlude at all imo. Check your ID3 tag as well, it's not Metallica :p All in all the acoustic sounds nice man, well done.

cobhc is right on the drum timing. Also I think the drummer is playing too much for a ballad. Sometimes less is more. I like the snare and the acoustic guitar, too.

smy1 said:
cobhc is right on the drum timing. Also I think the drummer is playing too much for a ballad. Sometimes less is more. I like the snare and the acoustic guitar, too.

I wasn't keen on the snare sound myself, it was too compressed for a ballad, it needs to be more open I feel.

cobhc said:
I wasn't keen on the snare sound myself, it was too compressed for a ballad, it needs to be more open I feel.

Generally I'd agree with you but here it's a rough mix of what is probably going to be a very busy mix so a big snare would probably be too overpowering. Gotta wait for the end result.

cobhc said:

lol, jepp, i'm glad it's not metallica ;)

if you mean that timing-issue in the middle..it's just because i glued 2 parts together without taking to much care 'bout the timing, 'cause one verse (clean part) would have been too short to judge.

other than that i can't really hear any major timing issues (it's a real drumkit, so of course it's not 100%, will fix some minor problems later i think).
i think all in all you're right, but there's still alot of things coming, so i have to be carefull with the decision of making things bigger in this stage.

thanks

The whole clip sounds out of time to me, not so much that the drum playing is sloppy, more that the drums aren't in sync with everything else, not saying you can't play in time (or anything near that) it just all seems a bit out to me.

smy1 said:
Generally I'd agree with you but here it's a rough mix of what is probably going to be a very busy mix so a big snare would probably be too overpowering. Gotta wait for the end result.

Yeah, I guess, but the big snare to me is a big point tonewise in a ballad. There is plenty of ballads with very busy mixes, but they still retain that big lushly reverbed snare.

cobhc said:
The whole clip sounds out of time to me, not so much that the drum playing is sloppy, more that the drums aren't in sync with everything else, not saying you can't play in time (or anything near that) it just all seems a bit out to me.

could it be the slow attack of the strings, that create that impression?
just checked drums in cubase and they're totally aligned with the guitars and the beat there....

LSD-Studio said:
could it be the slow attack of the strings, that create that impression?
just checked drums in cubase and there totally aligned with the guitars and the beat there....

It could be, can you post a clip without the strings so I can check?

LSD-Studio said:
k, so it's gotta be my fault, the drumhits are dead on the beats (visual check in cubase).

k, when i gotta re-record the guitars anyway, what do you think, go electric or stick with the acoustic?

The acoustic fits the song well, maybe brighten them up a little, so they are more prominent, but I think acoustic is the way to go. As far as the drums, it might be my ears lol, can anyone else hear the timing issues?

cobhc said:
As far as the drums, it might be my ears lol, can anyone else hear the timing issues?
you're right, just listened to it after a short break, when the strings (violins) set in there's a funky snare hit, nothing that can't be fixed, though.....gotta beat the crap out of the drummer anyway, now i've got a reason ;)