How it sounds and how I'd like it to sound (mp3's inside)

M.Lehto

Jun 25, 2002
I have 2 files here:

This one is just a basic one acoustic guitar-track, played with nylon-string, that I didn't do anything after I taped it.

This is a sample from Ulver's acoustic album, I love that sound.

I'm looking for advices how to make sound closer to that or somehow else make the sound better (comp, eq, reverb etc). I don't have a huge arsenal of plugins or anything, but some settings or advices would be great and maybe even a sample of how it sounds after they're done, so I'd know if I did it right or wrong. I know the sound is very different as the Ulver-sample contains many guitars, but I think you get the point.

P.S. Sorry for the huge difference in volumes between the samples.

EDIT - New sample, new sounds, much better result (?): Much better now?

i think you are too far away with the mic and probably not the correct position !

what was your signal chain and what brands?

there is a lot of compression going on in your 'should' track to get these guitars so thick and up front!

but even if you use hell of compression and some eqing, your posted sample wouldn't sound that good.

but don't forget that these guys have used the best gear they could find and maybe you can't compete with them because of budget.

so, what was your chain?:kickass:

The mics I use are AKG c3000 and TSM MT184, through a small Behringer mixer ( :oops: ) into Audiophile 2496.

I didn't place them that good, I must say, so the signal was weak.

I should really learn how to use comp on acoustic guitars.

try different mic placements !!

and your pre isn't good - i know it because i have the mx8000 and it is a bit fizzy and thin. but with better mic placements you'll get definitely better results.

compression on acoustic guitar is a bit like treating vocals.
attack mid fast - maybe 20ms or slower for getting the picking and fast attack for a more consistant sound! release is the same - more organic - fast release, consistancy - slow setting.

just play around with it!

Much better now ?

I think it sounds a lot better now, I micked better and panned other mic to full left and other full right in the mixer. Also recorded 2 guitars this time and panned them -15 and +25.

Didn't compress yet or anything, but I think the sound is much better now.

Ulver's is stereo.

here's a method I often use.

Mic distances must be as equal as possible to their respective target. Start with a distance of 14 inches (35cm).

Assume Right handed player...

Mic One is over the players Right should even with the guitar body front face plane pointed at the bridge

Mic Two is in front slightly down near the players left knee pointed up at the neck/body joint.

Now position these for equal Bass and stereo image and be sure to keep distances equal as much as possible

This technique gives an excellent stereo image that also collapses well.

Here's a sample... Stereo Mic Technique

kp-