How did you start your mixing adventures?

paledecay

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2013
So it's been about a year or so that I've started to dabble in the world of recording and mixing. How did you guys start? What did you do to find your own "sound" for your mixes? Does it drive you as crazy trying to find that perfect sound like it does me?

I've just started downloading some of the mixing practices here on the forums and am going to see if they can help me in my own techniques, but the last thing I want to do is follow directly in another's foot steps. I read(lurk) a lot on these forums and other places on the internet, but it seems a good bit of them are vague. Did you just mix, mix, mix, mix until it all started to click one day?

Going to any form of schooling is pretty much out for me, as I've got a full time job, planning a family soon and this is more of a hobby. I'm not looking to be the next bad ass dude, I'm just hoping to get good enough to save my band some time and money and be able to produce good quality stuff.

Have posted a couple songs before and have gotten a couple good critiques. I just feel that I'm missing some more important aspects as I listen to things I've done and then listen to other things that other people have done.