How do genre preferences affect the use of different music formats?

musicologist

New Metal Member
Sep 4, 2009
Hi!
I’m a Musicology student from Abo Akademi University writing my master’s thesis about how people use and listen to music formats in a private space. The purpose of this study is to shed some light on the way people use and listen to the CDs, MP3s and LPs they acquire, and to what extent genre preferences may affect listening habits.
I’m gathering my research material with a survey and I would be utterly grateful if YOU could take the time to fill it out. The survey will take about 5-10 minutes, depending on your listening habits.

SURVEY LINK:
Listening Habits

After I’ve gathered all the data I’ll post some key figures from the study here which you may find interesting!
Your survey responses will be strictly confidential, data from this research will be reported only in the aggregate and used solely for my master’s thesis. Your information will be coded and will remain confidential.

Thank you in advance!
Frej Gronholm
Abo Akademi University, Finland

I'm excited to see another Musicology enthusiast on this forum, especially a Musicology student. I took a Cognitive Musicology course a few years ago and have been a Musicology enthusiast ever since. In fact, my dream job is Evolutionary Musicology professor.

Excellent and comprehensive survey. I found myself giving long-winded and explanatory examples of listening habits quite a bit. Thank you for the opportunity!

What I never like about these kinds of studies is that the standard modern case of human condition is an unhealthy one and the data being collected about it, being looked at largely in terms of statistics, is bound to reflect not true tendencies of the human condition but false ones born of the confusion of our times. Which is not necessarily a bad course of investigation by any means, except then the results of the study will be viewed "conclusively" and only reinforce the unhealthy modern standard of the human condition as being in fact quite legitimate, the norm, as if it were not abnormal - thus concretizing weaknesses of the human condition as much as 'innate sin' is held to be an intrinsic part of human nature.

Anyways, I have completed the questionnaire.. got to give some platform to the voice of sanity! :lol:

Took it. My listening habits are pretty straightforward, but every data point helps. If you don't mind, post your results when you're done.