How do get loose, gutteral, rattling, bass tone?

Ah right, this is more what I would call really distorted and punk-esque - Sansamp, Tube Screamer, or ProCo Rat would be a big help methinks!

New strings on the bass. Duplicate the track, then split them into high and low frequency tracks. Add a distortion of some sort on to the high one and mess around untill its really bright. For the low one just compress it and add a touch of distortion if you want.

Joe

100% ampeg and DI track.

Listen to comeback kid!!!!If you into this sound this band have the best.

Also you can buy Sansamp vt bass + new strings.

This is one distorted, and highly scooped take + a muffy , low end take mixed together

one thing is very helpfull the uperclass ibanez bass:

They mostly have this 3 way eq on the buddy. turn down the midds. This gives you this very clear sound and you dont need so much distortion....
It makes a hugh difference if you do this on the bass or in the post

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead I just want to add in a couple things.

This is either sansamp or Ampeg tube tone. A couple more keys to this tone are this:

A P-bass. Preferrably a good one. I have a seymour duncan bass line pickup in my 1970 p-bass, and it works well. A jazz bass will work well too, but it will have a significantly different tone.

New strings preferrably tight ones, like 45-105 when in standard tuning, I tune to drop-b, and I'm using 50-115 GHS boomers. The low string could be a tad tighter, but after 115, the strings start sounding like a typical 5 string B, if that makes sense.

Get all of this down, and the rest is in your hands. Literally. A hard playing style, with low action. Some of this rattle is from the strings buzzing against the frets. It'll sound grittier, but if you can't play clean, it'll end up sounding like poop

Yeah i was back stage with this band at peterbrough a couple of months ago and they used a sansamp live!
And that tone is deffo screaming sansamp!