Anyone know how to get this EPIC bass tone?

In whatever ampsim you can get your hands on do this:

Track your bass with a high, kinda gritty/punk tone. I hp at around 150hz just to make sure there's no hum.

Then edit the bass if need be.

Duplicate the region and create a new track. In the ampsim get a more bassy tone.

Works great for me..

But i'm using the Ampeg SVX Bass plug-in for my bass, it's better than the pod stuff

The strings I have are basically brand new since the bass is only a couple months old and has barely been played...

brand new strings. not couple months old strings. if this isn't the advice you're looking for, what is? use the magic loose rattly string plugin? you never wanna hear about it cause you want a magic instant solution but bass sound is SOO much more in the bass and the player than it is with guitar. get BIG new strings and a big thick pick. the bass itself matters a ton, too. those cheap yamahas for example will never produce a nice "clank" no matter what you put on them. mexican jazz bass is the way to go. fuck, even the squier jazz sounds amazing sometimes.

or just buy trilian.

I'm looking for a free VST alternative

In all seriousness your not going to get that tone with something free. If for some crazy reason you do, props.

And just because your bass is new doesn't mean the strings have not been sitting on that instrument for God knows how long. Quit being a cheap fuck and go buy some BRAND FUCKING NEW STRINGS.

Why be such a cunt you ask? Because your like 90% of the retards I record who don't understand that concept NEW FUCKING STRINGS.

The strings I have are basically brand new since the bass is only a couple months old and has barely been played...

Nice try.

yeah well a couple months old is actually very old, "brand new" actually MEANS brand new, as in you just put them on and hit record, it will greatly improve the tone

Edit: sorry about being redundant, I somehow didn't realize page 2 and that this was already mentioned a few times

Why be such a cunt you ask? Because your like 90% of the retards I record who don't understand that concept NEW FUCKING STRINGS.

Amen brother! dont forget drummers with heads on their kit so old that the toms are the audio equivalent of beating on cardboard boxes...but no samples please....

Amen brother! dont forget drummers with heads on their kit so old that the toms are the audio equivalent of beating on cardboard boxes...but no samples please....

I have yet to have that, but I'm very blunt when it comes to what is or is not acceptable condition as far as drums go.

I'm slightly more sympathetic since new heads are more expensive than new strings, when people don't buy new strings however I fucking go nuts.