How do I "crisp" up a muddy guitar?

tentimesover

Mar 14, 2009
Hey Guys,
I've been using pod farm for awhile but I've been having issues with the guitars always being muddy. I've tried dialing in a bigbottom, treadplate, and criminal over and over but always get similar results.

I use an ESP LTD500 with emg81's and I just replaced the battery and strings and this is what I came out with.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7929029

Any ideas on where I should be boosting in EQ or what I should be cutting, i'm not looking for a "metal" tone just a clean distortion. If that makes sense...haha.

Thanks guys

It sounds like you are using line 6 amp sims. If you are using them in conjunction with internal cab sims (57 on/off axis, condenser, etc) from either pod, plug-in or whatever, you are going to get a muffled "pillow" sound to start with. First, try different cab impulses using an external loader (Voxengo Boogex etc...). See if that helps. Get as close as possible to the sound you are rtying to achieve and then do an EQ boost (bell curve) of around 2-6db btwn 5-8khz. low pass @ 10-12khz.

If this doesnt work for you, then its time to ditch your line 6/pod tones and try something else. Personally, line 6 stuff just doesnt cut it anymore. It sounds to digital, fake and plastic like, not to mention its a bitch to get it to fit into a song mix.

For what its worth, your clip doesnt sound half bad considering you are using those sounds. The most realistic Ive ever gotten with those sims has been with Big Bottom, if memory serves correct.