How do I "crisp" up a muddy guitar tone?

tentimesover

Mar 14, 2009
Hey Guys,
I've been using pod farm for awhile but I've been having issues with the guitars always being muddy. I've tried dialing in a bigbottom, treadplate, and criminal over and over but always get similar results.

I use an ESP LTD500 with emg81's and I just replaced the battery and strings and this is what I came out with.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7929029

Any ideas on where I should be boosting in EQ or what I should be cutting, i'm not looking for a "metal" tone just a clean distortion. If that makes sense...haha.

Thanks guys

I've had this problem too before and honestly it's more of a problem of the mix as a whole rather than the guitar tone. You just have to keep practicing on your mixes really until you get it right, it could take you months, who knows, just work at it.

I've had this problem too before and honestly it's more of a problem of the mix as a whole rather than the guitar tone. You just have to keep practicing on your mixes really until you get it right, it could take you months, who knows, just work at it.

I feel like the drums cut fine, the bass supports the kick, but the guitar tone just trashes it for me. I feel like it's not solid enough and I can't ever get out of the tone.

But I do understand it could be other frequencies in my mix fighting for room.

I'm gonna keep on it.

bass/kick drum doesnt seem to have enough low end. Remember that the bass is what thumps that low end into the guitar riffs. Guitars & snare actually sound pretty good to me, the REST of the mix seems thin eq-wise.

I'll play around with making the kick / bass carry the low end more. I just feel like that's going to make it sound "big" instead of clear. But maybe it will fill out the guitars.