How do I get a very heavy sounding mix a la....(Guitar Tone?)

Donkey Fly

Loves The Cookie!
Dec 22, 2007
UK
www.myspace.com

Not similar really music wise to what I have but you can hear how it goes epicly heavy sounding mix wise compared to what it was.

I want a similar kind of oompf on this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18151782/Boulevards Sample.mp3 - mainly when it kind of all comes in at 10 seconds

I think it's likely my guitar tone. I really struggle to get anything good out of any amp sim I've tried. I've used impulses and so many different presets and user presets but everything sound very muddy I think. Any tips on getting a good sound through this?

or in general making a mix heavier?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the video, it sounds so heavy because they're playing a certain chord that sounds much heavier than a typical power chord.. They're just stacking the low 5th on top of it.

For something to sound 'bigger' you have to have something smaller to contrast it.

In the video, you can hear how the song has forward movement by starting pretty empty with just drums/bass/clean guitar. The second part introduces some strings to thicken it up and keep the listener from getting bored while at the same time creating a sense of 'what happens next?'. The last bit introduces the 'heavy' guitars to drive home the chorus along with what sounds like louder strings, making sure the listener gets that shit stuck in their head by the time the song is over.

Tone down the start of your posted song and when it all kicks in, it should be a bit 'larger'. It's tough in metal and metal-like genres to not want to have everything at 11 all the time, but doing so will easily fatigue listeners. It's always better to build the song up as it goes to keep listeners interested.

Also, from what I'm hearing here, the guitars are a little muddy or undefined and the vocals are really loud. Are you just doing two tracks per side? Having 4 really tight tracks of guitar might help as well.

That is by no way a final mix. Just an idea down. It is four tracks, 2 for each guitar part. And I understand what you mean.

I think my main problem is the guitar tone, it's very gainy and lacks clarity. Will just need to mess around with the tone.

Thanks for the links

Make the intro a bit longer and softer than the rest of the track, so that there's a build up. Then have the drums come in with a huge cymbal hit or something, use your imagination. Automation is your friend.