how do i thicken up this guitar tone and bring some life to this?

Those drums still sound weak. i think thats really where the issue lays. the guitar tone is fine by my standards. The whole mix just lacks low end in my opinion.

Then again im using headphones. Ill check it out on my studio monitors when I go home.

I think you might be right on the drums. The more i listen to other things on here and just more music side by side the drums attack but are REALLY THIN!!!

I'll have to look into the drums and see if I can add low end to the kick. Let me know on those studio monitors. Thanks for the feedback!!!

The guitar tone sounds pretty good in my opinion, just still a little dominant over the mix. The drums overall are a little buried, and the kick drum is a little weak, but not too bad listening on my Events.

Basically I'd say Guitars: overall good tone, just a bit loud
Drums: overall pretty good, just a bit quiet, maybe a little more oomph to the kick
Bass Guitar: pretty hard to pick out
Overall Mix: pretty close, basic sounds are pretty solid, a little more tweaking but pretty close

The guitar tone sounds pretty good in my opinion, just still a little dominant over the mix. The drums overall are a little buried, and the kick drum is a little weak, but not too bad listening on my Events.

Basically I'd say Guitars: overall good tone, just a bit loud
Drums: overall pretty good, just a bit quiet, maybe a little more oomph to the kick
Bass Guitar: pretty hard to pick out
Overall Mix: pretty close, basic sounds are pretty solid, a little more tweaking but pretty close

thanks for the kind words! any advice how to add the oomph to the kick? or way to start bringing out the drums?

without going overboard, try boosting somewhere between 60-100Hz and see how that sounds. Don't go too crazy because it can really overpower your mix and bass freqs take up a lot of sonic energy, but just the right boost can really make the kick thump. To bring out the drums, that's a tough one, because I'm not sure what exactly is making them sound dull. Give me an idea of what how you have the drums mixed, what FX, reverb, no reverb? Etc... It might be as simple as bringing their volume up a bit, or conversely, bringing everything else down a bit.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8099669

Bass Drum EQ edit: Small Low shelf boost at 100hz. Small eq cut at 500hz. Small eq boost at 100hz.

Snare is bell curved around 3.1k. Compressed and I'm using Logic's space designer on it.

Brought down the guitars a few db again. I'm starting to think it might be the bass tone a little bit more. The more I listen the more I wonder if i'm doing anything!! Haha, thoughts??:cry:

Thats better, but the overall mix is still a bit thin.

The bass doesnt sound like a real bass, cause its probably programmed. What are you using for the bass? It need ssomething with more bottom end. Its something at EQ wont fix.

As for the kick its better, personally I prefer a boots at 70hz on the kicks. It resonates more in the rib cage i think.

I say find a friend with a bass and record some real bass guitar on in. Even using something like guitar rig tuning you down an octave would be better than the digibass your using on this.

Overall I say bring down the china a bit. Bring the guitars down more. I find a drum heavy mix to be better for metal, but dont overdo it.

See my recording in the "Thrash metal reborn" post above for what I mean about the bass guitar. The one I used is a cheapo ibanez, but it still sounds decent when run through Guitar Rig or another VST / RTAS plugin.

I'm using my buddies esp bass with active pickups. Granted I don't ever play bass. So maybe it's just my slop play. Maybe I can fuck with the amp I used on it in pod farm. Using and eden. I'll try to mess around with.

I'll try to bring down the guitars again!! hahaha, do you think they are getting a little lost eq wise with the added bass and kick??

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8099859

Small 3k bump to guitars to brighten em up a little bit.

Tried a new bass sim, went with and eden 4x10 instead of ampeg 8x10 and I think it made a pretty big difference, also tried to gate the bass a little bit more since my performance is very sloppy.

Does the extra bass make the kick get lost?

Happier with this one then any other so far. Haha, thanks everyone for continuing to chime in!!!

Sounds not too bad. I'd put the guitars a little bit quieter though, IMO they still dominate the whole thing a little bit, and everything will sound thicker once it's leveled properly.

Add some 200hz narrow Q to the snare, until it sounds kind of too tubey and then back off by about 1dB.
Try to put the lead guitar at some parts at the left louder, it kind of gets lost in the mix.

If you want the drums to stand out just that bit more, some slight NYC parallel compression might be good for you : http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/mixing/phat-drums-new-york-style-parallel-compression-part-1/ .

Sounds not too bad. I'd put the guitars a little bit quieter though, IMO they still dominate the whole thing a little bit, and everything will sound thicker once it's leveled properly.

Add some 200hz narrow Q to the snare, until it sounds kind of too tubey and then back off by about 1dB.
Try to put the lead guitar at some parts at the left louder, it kind of gets lost in the mix.

If you want the drums to stand out just that bit more, some slight NYC parallel compression might be good for you : http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/mixing/phat-drums-new-york-style-parallel-compression-part-1/ .

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try to bring down this guitars yet. Haha, I can't make myself do it enough!! I feel like thats what drives it! But that's the guitar player in me I guess! Gonna rework that left lead yet, Didn't work out like I planned.

I'll check out that NYC parallel. Not totally sure what narrow q is??

thanks for all the advice!!