How do I use VST Instuments?

Mortal_Dezire

Mar 31, 2007
Kearney, NE
www.myspace.com
This may be a stupid question, but I'm mainly a real instrument user. I've been reading about and a lot of VST instruments and the sound clips are fucking great!

I've tried to use a few demos, but I think I'm having a major brain fart on how these work. I'm assuming I need some external equipment to go along with the software, but I don't know what.

If anyone can shed some light on this topic, that'd be great. I'd like to check some of MOTU's software. Their Symphonic Instrument program is fucking cool.

Long story short, you make a MIDI track, set up a VST instrument (however your DAW does that), and then set the output of your MIDI track to the VST instrument.

Jeff

ok. That kind of makes sense.
Sorry. I don't know shit about MIDI. How do you set up a MIDI track? Do I need a squencer, or a keyboard? I hate to sound like a complete newb here, but I'm walking into territory that I know nothing about and you guys always seem to be on top of your game.

After doing some reading in the search, I was wondering, if I used Finale to notate an orchestral part, could I export the midi and use that to trigger whatever VST I'm trying to use? I thought I read something about someone doing that and this may solve my question....or it could just create another late night recording clusterfuck.