How do they..

Dammnare

Feb 16, 2008
Rehearse their songs ? I mean when they are in studio,they sit and record etc but after some time they would need to play the song and when that happens...how do they know how to play ? I dont think they can memorize all their songs :D So do they write them in tablatures or maybe in more professional way,in notes.Anybody has an idea ?

They just are able to memorize them... it's not anything harder then any other band. Dream Theater had a method (because in their case, I could understand that it could be sometime hard, refering to The Dance of Eternity) to memorize each riff with its signature, but anyway, Opeth don't and doesn't need to if you want my opinion.

dream theater also use standard notation, as i saw in the DVD for their latest album systematic chaos i think its called.

watch documentary on Lamentations, they explain there how to do so:)

really? I don't think I recall them ever explaining it.

I remember when they played through The Drapery Falls on Guitar.com and Mikael said that he couldn't remember the original solo that he wrote, so he ended up writing a different solo.

They probably write down their ideas or they might have a good ear...I don't know.

I don't know about those guys in particular, but I know when I'm playing a song, especially my own bands songs, it's easy to memorize them because the song sort of plays in my head and the progression of the riffs comes naturally to me. I'm guessing that's how it must be for most bands

Yeah I see what you mean. I usually write down all of my ideas in guitar pro or on sheet music just in case if I ever forget it. My band wrote a song ranging in the twenty minute range that we played multiple times. We haven't played that song in a while, but if we were to than I sure I wont remember how to play everything, especially the little intricacies.

I could see a song like Black Rose Immortal, which they might not play that often, being difficult to remember.

Good to see that there are people trying to answer my question and I thank them much :) . If they really memorize them then :OMG: .

Although,there are also trolls who mock you for asking a simple question too.And I feel sorry for them.

Yeah I see what you mean. I usually write down all of my ideas in guitar pro or on sheet music just in case if I ever forget it. My band wrote a song ranging in the twenty minute range that we played multiple times. We haven't played that song in a while, but if we were to than I sure I wont remember how to play everything, especially the little intricacies.

I could see a song like Black Rose Immortal, which they might not play that often, being difficult to remember.

i find it easier to transcribe it down into notation rather than tab because then you get a sense of what the pitch is you are playing rather than just the fingering. and you can always switch the fingering of the phrases if you know the notes (or even if u dont, its easy to find them)

Good to see that there are people trying to answer my question and I thank them much :) . If they really memorize them then :OMG: .

Although,there are also trolls who mock you for asking a simple question too.And I feel sorry for them.

I play a lot of Opeth on guitar myself, and find I'm able to remember most of the ones that I know, amongst the many many other songs I can play.. so it is possible. And it's definitely easier to remember something you've written as opposed to what another has.

When my band writes new songs, I often find it difficult to memorize them at first (mainly because I can't rehearse with them as often as I'd like to, and thus don't contribute a lot to the barebone riffs) But once the songs are finished and either

a) recorded
or
b) played live a couple of times

they tend to flow naturally, and I'm always thinking a couple of seconds ahead, without having to worry about the actual riff I'm playing at that moment.

I once read that Opeth videotapes a rehearsel before a gig.. Then they project it on a large screen, so it looks like they're actually playin live..
Thats why they never play DoTF when everyone is asking for it..