How Do You Approach Keys?

Blacklisted

New Metal Member
Dec 20, 2013
I know keyboards are kind of blasphemous in heavy music, but for those of you that are into it, how are you doing it? Are you mixing them really low so they just add a tiny bit of depth?

Those of you that play, what are you using or what do you like using? Synths, Mellotrons, Organs, Virtual Instruments (if so what patches)..... What are some examples of great heavy songs with keys that actually improve the production?

Thanks

Keys are a pandoras box. The arrangement is critical b/c they can compete with everything range-wise so you have to be very careful where they sit. In terms of mix the tone vary wildly so in general you need to try to limit their range frequency-wise as much as possible.

Just use virtual instruments, unless you like dialing sounds in physically by hand. Basically these days, unless you're some sweaty old analog guy, it's better to have VI's for greater diversity and ease of use. They've gone a pretty long way modeling out the analog sound, too. Just check out U-He Diva, for example.

What are some examples of great heavy songs with keys that actually improve the production?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKyzwqIT7s

Those are VI's. The band is alright, kinda boring, but without the keyboards, they would be utter shit and absolutely not worth listening to.

I know keyboards are kind of blasphemous in heavy music, but for those of you that are into it, how are you doing it? Are you mixing them really low so they just add a tiny bit of depth?

Those of you that play, what are you using or what do you like using? Synths, Mellotrons, Organs, Virtual Instruments (if so what patches)..... What are some examples of great heavy songs with keys that actually improve the production?

Thanks

:erk:

I know keyboards are kind of blasphemous in heavy music...

Says who?

And the mixing really depends on the role of the keys. Sometimes I like to have the keys really ambient and distant for the mood, but sometimes the keys will drive the song really upfront.
There are no rules, sometimes the keys/synths need a ton of carving, sometimes they don't.