how do you get the loudness when mastering?

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
I usually get the loudness with t-racks clipper but it doesn't sound as loud as pro premasters.sure the mix is crucial but how do you generally get the standard level? limiter, compressor, clipper?

I use limiters like Slate FG-X or Fabfilter Pro-L, but I use use multiband compressors before the limiter to avoid distortion, to get your mix loud, it should go at least to -9 or-10 RMS, but it may be on the cost of your mix

Having a well-balanced mix (both in terms of spectral balance and dynamics), and then using the right amount of saturation and compression/limiting. That's it really.

My entire mastering chain is just an EQ for slight adjustments and getting rid of 30hz and below into an SSL master bus comp, into a couple instances of Ozone 5 for the limiter! I like to use two different limiters running a little softer than just one trying to smash everything all at once.

Compression on the individual busses, and SSL Comp, VTM, VCC and FG-X for the master channel.

Saturation is another good way to get perceived loudness without doing heavy limiting or compression.

I use some principles I read in the Bob Katz book + other knowledge from internet (and other books as well),

Starting with a balanced mix...

This would give me the loudness...

Bus compressor (if it makes the mix sounds better) I like SSL 4:1 or 2:1 attack 10 or 30 release auto-> EQ for more perceived loudness (1-2 db on highs, brickwall hipass on 20hz if needed, -0,5 on mids depending on the source) -> Parallel comp with fastest attack and 400-500ms release, biggest ratio -> clipper to tame snare/kick trasient -> Ozone limiter or Fabfilter proL. you cant get -8db RMS easy with those.
Cheers

good tips here! I usually use ssl comp too but I'll try the slate comp, I use them in every mixes and they sound really good. I'll give it a try with two limiters , makes sense! I only have t-racks brickwall limiter and l1 though. I also tried once with parallel comp but the result was weird. depends on the mix I think.

44882155.jpg

A few tips from my experience:
- tight, solid, consistent low end (running bass through VTM both on the track and VTM on master helps massively with this)
- Mix into a buss compressor (FG-Red here) with max 3 dB gain reduction, I normally ride it at least 1 dB
- I once used the demo version of Voxengo curve EQ to match the EQ spectrum of my master buss vs a commercial mix, and it really helped to show where my mix was lacking - too much low end and not enough around the 200-500 Hz region. A lot of the loudness comes from the mid range, you gotta get that right. I don't think it can be fixed by an EQ on the master buss, I think you need to get that EQ balance right by adjusting individual tracks, specifically how the bass guitar and rhythm guitar fit together below 1 kHz.

Then a limiter should bring it up to -10 dB RMS quite easily without affecting the mix balance. I think trying to get it louder than -10 dB RMS is unnecessary.