HOW do you guys do CLEAN Vocals?

I would say any music and not just metal. When you're looking and listening for doubled tracked vocals you will most likely find it. Especially in choruses in just about any genre.

I also would say not just for singing. New emmure has panned screams all the time. (hell I would even say more doubled tracked vocals than single)

I would say any music and not just metal. When you're looking and listening for doubled tracked vocals you will most likely find it. Especially in choruses in just about any genre.

I also would say not just for singing. New emmure has panned screams all the time. (hell I would even say more doubled tracked vocals than single)

so would you say the first singing verse here has two separate vocal tracks aligned with each other? I dont know why i keep asking the same question lol i guess its because I literally cannot hear it at all but i think thats the point isnt it? maybe joey could chime in on this

Last edited by a moderator:
The EP we just did I recorded in one take. 1. a dry track Large condensor mic and #2 SM57 through TC Helicon Box Tone Correct XT D-ess off, Pitch on but set to unobtrusive.

From there I went (besides gates and compressors, some Eq) to a stereo chorus on one track, with not too much depth or effect, and the Ozone vocal processing preset with the exciter, maybe some loudness maximizer and some other stuff on there, little bit of reverb. I panned them slightly maybe 20% l&R because I prefer a more centered source, but you can adjust to suit depending on the song. Sounds great and the feedback we are getting is very +ve on the vocal sound.

I think with the processing that is available you don't need to truly sing twice to get a cool tone for verses. With some latency that is hard to do. Save the doubling and harmony for special parts. In the case of AA I hear synths supporting the vocals in those heavenly soaring parts. They sound out of this world.

Yeah dude, but Joey did single takes on the new 'Silent Screams' CD, but otherwise i agree with Seth, Doubles mostly.

With regards to that actually: the song they put up for download on their Facebook, the dirty vocals sound a little, I don't know, weak I guess? I get the feeling it may be to do with the vocalist and not the processing but still, any one else notice this?

With regards to that actually: the song they put up for download on their Facebook, the dirty vocals sound a little, I don't know, weak I guess? I get the feeling it may be to do with the vocalist and not the processing but still, any one else notice this?

Yeah I also think they weak (if you comparing to other artists Joey produces) I think he made it single layered because of this. So when you go watch em live it isn't like OMGosh he sounds nothing like the CD, so now you know what you gonna get when you seem em live.

yeah good call, i wouldnt be suprise if that is why he did that.

HOW ABOUT SCREAM VOCALS! WOOO

what are some things you guys do to your scream vocals to make them sound nice and big. things you wouldnt do to clean vocals.
For my screams I like to add a lot of compressoin, a healthy amount of reverb and a little delay. I also like to stereo image them just very slightly to give it more "umph" and cut out some of the low frequencies. by then I have a pretty ballsy sounding scream vocal.

how bout you guys? feel free to continue if you have anything about clean vocals too.

yeah good call, i wouldnt be suprise if that is why he did that.

HOW ABOUT SCREAM VOCALS! WOOO

what are some things you guys do to your scream vocals to make them sound nice and big. things you wouldnt do to clean vocals.
For my screams I like to add a lot of compressoin, a healthy amount of reverb and a little delay. I also like to stereo image them just very slightly to give it more "umph" and cut out some of the low frequencies. by then I have a pretty ballsy sounding scream vocal.

how bout you guys? feel free to continue if you have anything about clean vocals too.

Im still not a fan of my vocals but I start with cubase de-esser than I like cla-bluey with the reasonable input gain either 20 to 1 or all buttons depending on how it sounds fast attack fast release then maybe another compressor with a slower attack la2a just to smooth it out a bit. then i'll add alittle bit of saturation (if they need it) with izotope thrash (wanna get decapitator) then into cubase's stock limiter then an eq cut some problem frequencies with my mic has some weird low end build up on certan vocals and then I'll usually add some reverb and alittle delay

I noticed and i could be wrong that screaming vocals in metal are alot like the bass you don't want much dynamic range at all if any, unless it's automated in.

Im still not a fan of my vocals but I start with cubase de-esser than I like cla-bluey with the reasonable input gain either 20 to 1 or all buttons depending on how it sounds fast attack fast release then maybe another compressor with a slower attack la2a just to smooth it out a bit. then i'll add alittle bit of saturation (if they need it) with izotope thrash (wanna get decapitator) then into cubase's stock limiter then an eq cut some problem frequencies with my mic has some weird low end build up on certan vocals and then I'll usually add some reverb and alittle delay

I noticed and i could be wrong that screaming vocals in metal are alot like the bass you don't want much dynamic range at all if any, unless it's automated in.

What benefits do you gain from izotope thrash? or decapitator?

I didn't realize a lot of you guys did your own vox as well. How hard are you guys pushing out your vocals? I've found a way to do it without it hurting my throat at all, its just I'm honestly BELCHING them out, and instead of it hurting my throat it hurts my head. haha i dont think this is good, anyone else have a similar experience?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23702650/The%20Hidden%20Skyline%20-%20Good%20and%20bad%20just%20dont%20mix%20Remake.mp3

Idk if it sounds bad though. (dont pay attention to the mix it was just a qwiky)

What benefits do you gain from izotope thrash? or decapitator?

saturation its like adding distortion to vocals in a more musical way though alot of times the blue face will do enough of that as it is if you push it which i will do sometimes and sometimes it can sound kind of harsh if the vocals are already gritty so its more of a project by project type thing sometimes I'll just put it on the background vocals (doubles) to make them sound a little thicker and leave the lead vocal clean it really depends. I hear decapitator is really good for all thing saturation and especially vocals so I'm definitely looking forward to picking it up when I have the cashh

saturation its like adding distortion to vocals in a more musical way though alot of times the blue face will do enough of that as it is if you push it which i will do sometimes and sometimes it can sound kind of harsh if the vocals are already gritty so its more of a project by project type thing sometimes I'll just put it on the background vocals (doubles) to make them sound a little thicker and leave the lead vocal clean it really depends. I hear decapitator is really good for all thing saturation and especially vocals so I'm definitely looking forward to picking it up when I have the cashh

oh ok i see. If i understand what your saying I feel like Of mice and Men's vocals have that "distorted" sound to them

1. Great singer
2. The rest is a piece of cake.

Haha but seriously, this past weekend I recorded some demos with a chick who does broadway-esque singing, and she is by far the best singer I've ever recorded, not to mention 3 of the songs were done in one single take (seriously!). All I did to those tracks was some compression, limiting, delay/verb, hp, and a cut a 7k.

But if you have a less than amazing singer it's alot of work :/

If i posted some stems of myself doing some clean vox in some song would anyone want to try and see what they can make out of it? if so, what all should i record? two complete takes of every vocal?