Best Method for recording vocals..

Nico_pitty

Nick
Jun 22, 2011
Milan
Hi Guys i write this thread to know ho record perfectly vocals and scream...
I appreciate the sturgis method of opening a new project and record vocals on the track..
I'd like to know how tracks of main scream i have to record...two main stereo tracks?one? or three?and for clean vocals?tow or one?
Moreover I've seen an update of joey where he has recorded also on a group channel...Why use a group channel for an audio track?( this is just pure curiosity ) ;)

Can't comment on the group method you brought up, but I how record screams is as follows:

Open up a new project for voc, and get at least two good takes of everything, even if you don't plan on using all the takes. I like to mess around with layering and panning and you can't have any fun with just one take!

i would double track both vocals and screams. it just takes out a lot of the imperfections and give it a more full sound. but sometimes on bridges i would single track it so it has more of an empty feeling. and you can do 4 vocal tracks on the chorus to make them stand out. so on the chorus you would have 2 normal vocals and 2 vocals an octave higher/lower. to make the chorus pop. and i personally use group tracks so that all those vocal tracks have the same settings on compression, eq, and send setting. that also makes tweaking those setting a lot easier.

2 of everything for screams. If there is a high and a low at the same time then you do 2 lows and 2 highs. Sometimes you get a retarded vocalist who isn't capable of doing one take with good timing, let alone two, so in those cases aim for single takes.

For singing I like 3 main takes- panned left and right at -6db and one in the middle. Then an extra track under it with the vocalist doing the whole line at a lower octave. Put that pretty low in the mix. Then throw any harmonies ontop.

That's only for heavy music though. That would probably sound horrible over an acoustic track.

Thanks guys for the help!!! I'm new in recording vocals...i have always record the instrumental parts....Thank fandus and thank Laidback..i will follow your advices!|!!!
Tim thanks for the help...I have an horrible condenser,an horrible pre, but........................a very good performer!!!!
I have a C01 studio condenser and a tube ultragain mic100 of behringer..does it suck???

Just so you know, it's also very possible to make one take of everything sound great.
I'm not recommending that you not double track, but sometimes (depending on the vocalist) I end up only using one layer and using the second/third/fourth layer to comp in things and/or to add echos/panning tricks/etc.